HFSLIP + XPSP1 don't seem to match too well

Tomcat76

[Attachment removed]

Windows XP Pro SP1a, English.

These updates did not install:

- KB900725 (Vulnerabilities in Windows Shell)

- KB839645 (Vulnerability in the Windows shell)

- KB841873 (Vulnerability in Task Scheduler)

- KB898461 (Package installer)

These programs did not install:

- DirectX 9.0c (BDAXP.cab and dxnt.cab)

- Windows Update v6

- Windows Media Connect 2.0

Concerning DirectX 9...

The installation wizard for the nForce system drivers (which I ran manually afterwards) complained about not having DX9 installed, and dxdiag.exe reports version 8.1.

These programs WERE installed:

- HighMAT update

- WMP9/10 codecs

I didn't check these yet:

- the 5 new cabs from DX9

- MSXML 4.0 SP2

- Windows Script 5.6

- LegitCheckControl.cab

There are 18 updates missing from the SP1 list in my thread, so I still need to check if they would install properly.

Edited by Tomcat76

Sorry it didn't work. SP1 is such a hack of an OS, it made me sick testing it the other week. Perhaps it's best to pull support for sp1, unless someone wants to troubleshoot code. I got no time for tweaking code for an OS that I don't use. It is PAINFULLY slow and if installed on my main box, it would crash in about 10 minutes (XPSP2 crashes for me after 20 minutes of hardcore use, 2k never crashes on me; so much for the *new* flagship OS).

With that list I PMd you with the other week, my SP1 was fully up to date according to the MS Baseline Analyzer and HFNETCHK. I didn't visit WU with it, only because MSBLA does a far better job at that sort of stuff. Are you sure you got the hotfixes specific for SP1? By the way, the HFNETCHK report lists invalid checksums (which happens with all OS checks) but only the media player and mdac are the only ones not up to date. The others all had valid version numbers. Did I miss something there?

Oh, the reason why people don't report issues is probably because the non-HFSLIP people like pre-configured download packs that they can double click. FDV and I were talking about this the other day, most people who use HFSLIP are people who live outside the USA.

Edited by tommyp

I think most people rely on Windows Update or Automatic Updates to keep their system up to date; they're not going to download updates manually from the Download Center.

Windows Update wouldn't give me anything until I installed the BITS update and the Package Installer...

The BITS update is not in your list, btw, so it's strange that MSBA came out clean.

Are you sure you got the hotfixes specific for SP1?
I double-checked, but I may have missed a couple. The ones that I didn't ask to remove from the SP2 list are for SP1 as well (at least they should be). Edited by Tomcat76

OK... I added all updates including optional updates (except KB327405 which is nowhere to be found -- not even on WU Catalog). These are the things that didn't install...

Required by WU:

- WU v6

- BITS/WinHTTP5.1

- Package Installer

Critical:

- KB900725

- KB896426

- KB839645

- KB841873

- KB817787 ***

- KB828026

Optional:

- KB833998

- KB327979

- KB322011

- KB810243

- KB814995

Other:

- Windows Media Connect 2.0

- DirectX 9.0c

*** KB817787 is WindowsMedia8-KB817787-x86-ENU.exe. This one failed during the slipstream process, showing this error:

Windows Media Update 817787
Command line option syntax error. Type Command /? for Help.

This is what I got from the /? switch:

/Q
/T:blahblah
/C
/C:blahblah

(The "blahblah" is mine B))

Should I put it in HFSVPK_SW?

On the brighter side... 62 updates WERE installed fersure... :thumbup

Edited by Tomcat76

TC, the issues have been identified with the non-WMP type fixes. WMP and XPSP1 seems to be an afterthought with the way the setup files are. Therefore, the WMP fixes (817787 and 828026) aren't readily slipstreamable (if I had time I could do it though, but it's not worth it). I only concentrate on CRITICAL and not recommended. Google for the recommended fixes and you'll see why they are really worthless. I'm not sure why a codec is a recommended fix, or a fax preview is a fix. Go figure.

The issue will be fixed at the next release of hfslip.

(TC - please add 896426 to your HF folder, it looks like you missed it)

Codecs? Well... I have to admit I didn't take a close look at the content of the WMP fixes; I only looked at the title for KB817787: "Flaw in Windows Media Player Skins Downloading could allow Code Execution", and the description for Q828026: "[The] content owner can add script commands (...) that are embedded in the stream. When the stream is played back, the script commands can trigger events in an embedded player program, or they can start your Web browser and then connect to a particular Web page. The 828026 update (...) modifies Windows Media Player to recognize three new registry values that permit a user or an administrator to control the scenarios where the player will run URL script commands that are embedded in a stream. (...) Additionally, logic was added so that when Windows Media Player does run URL script commands, the script cannot take the user from a less-trusted security zone to a more-trusted security zone."

(Red was chosen to stay in the Christmas spirit :whistle: )

So... From the list of "critical" fixes, I mark the two WMP fixes as "not-slipstreamable". Which of the marked recommended/optional fixes should I consider "not going to be processed" at the next HFSLIP release?

Edited by Tomcat76

Tom - No harm intended in my posting. I just wanted to point out to others that Microsoft is trying to brainwash us that sometimes worthless things are needed to keep windows update happy.

I would say at first glance that the "recommended" ones and the two media updates won't be slipstreamable for now.