Note regarding Nero Infotool

Petr

One new function in Nero Infotool 3.0 and newer is a list of installed OS patches. For Windows 98 SE it looks like this:

Installed OS Patches

--------------------

(Q241134) USB driver update : No

(Q265314) Error Message 'No Valid Drive/Disc Found' Playing Audio CD After Using Data CD-ROM : No

(Q274370) Error Message on a Blue Screen When You Try to Play Digital CD Audio : No

(Q240075) USB Devices may not work : No

(Q241134) USB Enumeration Problems : No

(Q253697) USB Enumeration Problems with OpenHCI Controller on Fast Computers : No

(Q243174) MS Digital Video May Lose IEEE 1394 Device Audio : No

(Q252958) High Bandwith patch installed : No

(Q239694) Large Writes to Removable Media May Result in Data Loss : No

(Q242937) Windows Driver Model Audio Update : No

(Q242975) FireWire Support patch installed : No

(Q252183) 1394 Host Controller Driver Does Not Retry Busy Devices Properly : No

(Q284837) 1394 Audio/Video Control Device Stops Working Unexpectedly : No

(Q290831) SRB_FUNCTION_SHUTDOWN Requests Not Sent to SCSI Miniports During Shutdown : No

(Q284837) 1394 Audio/Video Control Device Stops Working Unexpectedly : No

At first I supposed that it is some registry related problem that there is "No" for all patches. So I traced what Nero Infotool does and the result is that it looks for updates file, but on wrong places. For expample in non-existing folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DRIVERS insteda of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS etc.

So none updated files are found.

I have reported this to Ahead but no repsonse from them.

This is just inform you that "No" for all patches is not problem in SE SP 2.1.

Petr

Latest version of Nero InfoTool I know of is version 3.01 posted here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

I currently have v3.01 of Nero InfoTool on my WinME machine and I first could not find the feature of InfoTool listing any OS patches for WinME, even though QFECheck lists the ME patches that I've installed.

ok. I did eventually found the part where Infotool lists the OS patches. it's just that Petr didn't show where or how to use the feature. Click on the Save icon [the "disk" icon] to display the 'InfoTool: Save/Print' dialog box and then scroll to the bottom of the list. now there will be a list of some OS patches installed.

Edited by erpdude8

Latest version of Nero InfoTool I know of is version 3.01 posted here:

I currently have v3.01 of Nero InfoTool on my WinME machine and I first could not find the feature of InfoTool listing any OS patches for WinME, even though QFECheck lists the ME patches that I've installed.

ok. I did eventually found the part where Infotool lists the OS patches. it's just that Petr didn't show where or how to use the feature. Click on the Save icon [the "disk" icon] to display the 'InfoTool: Save/Print' dialog box and then scroll to the bottom of the list. now there will be a list of some OS patches installed.

Version I have is part of Nero 6.6.0.18.

I'm sorry for confusing you. Does show your version on WinMe any OS patch installed?

Petr

• 2 weeks later...

yes Petr but only in Nero InfoTool's Save/Print dialog box after clicking on the Save icon.

I use Nero version 6.3.1.25 on both my WinME and my brother's WinXP computer. that version had an older release of Nero Infotool so I downloaded & installed the newer one at the Cdspeed2000.com site.

Nero CD/DVD Speed, Nero DriveSpeed and Nero InfoTool are created by Erik Deppe.

you may want to contact him from this page about the problem you are having with

Nero Infotool not showing all OS patches installed on your computer:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=email.html

personally, I'd rather use QFECheck to display a list of all OS updates installed on my ME computer.

Edited by erpdude8

btw Petr, what exact version of Nero Infotool [infotool.exe] do you have installed on your computer?

right-click on the InfoTool.exe file on the 'C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero Toolkit' folder and select

Properties.

The Infotool.exe file I have is version 3.0.1.0.

btw Petr, what exact version of Nero Infotool [infotool.exe] do you have installed on your computer?

right-click on the InfoTool.exe file on the 'C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero Toolkit' folder and select

Properties.

The Infotool.exe file I have is version 3.0.1.0.

I have file version 3.0.3.0, date 17-Jul-2005, 524288 bytes, but the first line of the generated report shows 3.02.

Petr

• 4 weeks later...

ok. I recently updated the Nero software I had [version 6.3.1.25] to version 6.6.1.4 (released on Jan. 31, 2006) and this new release of Nero 6.6 has Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.11, DriveSpeed v3.06 and Nero InfoTool v3.07.

these newer versions of the Nero Toolkit programs are not available at the CD Speed 2000 web site.

I will email Erik Deppe to see if he can make these newer versions of these tools available as standalone downloads at the CD Speed 2000 site.

Edited by erpdude8

or if you want, Petr, I can email you the newer version of Nero InfoTool (version 3.0.7.0 dated 9/18/2005) along with newer versions of CD-DVD Speed and DriveSpeed if you are not comfortable downloading the Nero 6.6.1.4 update which is a 32 Mb download.

or if you want, Petr, I can email you the newer version of Nero InfoTool (version 3.0.7.0 dated 9/18/2005) along with newer versions of CD-DVD Speed and DriveSpeed if you are not comfortable downloading the Nero 6.6.1.4 update which is a 32 Mb download.

I already have Infotool 3.0.7 but the behavior has not changed - still none patches/hotfixes are detected.

Petr

I already have Infotool 3.0.7 but the behavior has not changed - still none patches/hotfixes are detected.

Petr

A little different story when I used InfoTool 3.07 under my brother's WinXP laptop computer. Infotool does detect some patches under XP. some of them will say Yes and others will say No.

• 2 weeks later...

I did install Nero Infotool 3.07 on my friend's XP SP2 Professional computer and ran it. After I clicked on the Save icon, it crashed with an error message "An error has occured in this application..." He has Nero 6.3 installed. I will help him update the Nero software to v6.6 first and run Nero Infotool 3.07 again to see if the problem goes away.

this is a little off topic but Nero CD-DVD Speed app [cdspeed.exe] v4.11 uses gdiplus.dll file. A copy of the gdiplus.dll file is stored in the 'Program Files\Ahead\Nero Toolkit' folder after installing Nero 6.6.

I think the latest Nero InfoTool app is bundled in the latest release of Nero 7.

• 3 weeks later...

New version of Nero InfoTool posted is version 4.03 at the CdSpeed2000.com download page:

also released is Nero CD-DVD Speed version 4.50.

The new version of InfoTool (4.03) will NOT resolve the problem of not detecting any "OS patches" installed under Win9x/ME systems. Infotool may detect some patches installed under Win2k/XP/2k3/NT4 systems.

• 1 year later...

Nero InfoTool 4.04 and newer are not compatible with Win9x OSes anymore. :(

Last version for Win9x is 4.03:

http://www.mdgx.com/drv.htm#DTC

* Nero InfoTool (INFOTOOL.EXE) 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista

+ Hardware Info (HWINFO.EXE) 16-bit for DOS detect + display CD/DVD drives and

CPU, BIOS, RAM + motherboard chipset information + speed (freeware):

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/Info_Tool.html

- InfoTool 4.4 for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista [940 KB]:

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/InfoTool.zip

- InfoTool 4.03 for Windows 9x/NT4/ME + Hardware Info for DOS [353 KB]:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroInfoTool_403.zip

HTH

yeah I kinda figured that out. The Nero 7 software is also incompatible with Win9x/ME/NT4.

The Hardware Info (HWINFO.EXE) tool didn't detect all the hardware info on my HP Pavilion PC. some hardware were reported as blank or unknown