Memory

8ball

HI all,

I have had windows XP for about a year, a it seems to be running rather slow, i have 224mb of ram, do u think this is enough or would u recommend i have more???? :)

I just tried upgrading a HP Pavillion 8655C that was running win 98se to win xp home.The customer was having trouble with the system locking up while using his broadband connection.The system;533mhz p3,integrated shared video,some cheap sound card,64mb pc 100,no agp slot,updated bios.I installed 256mb pc 133 and installed xp.System ran ok but had to turn off most visual enhancements.Then hooked it up to the broadband and poof video hardware lockup.Built him a newer system with 256mmb pc 133 with a compatible agp graphics card,latest motherboard and happy happy customer no more lockups.Runs very zippy.All components have signed drivers.My point is that this being one example of this type of upgrade,, hardware incompatibility can account for poor perfomance on any system.Even not matching ram to motherboard in higher end machines will result in this.Zivans 450 with all the ram in the world won't improve xp's "giddyup and go". :)

I would recommend:

256MB for office use - Word, Excel, powerpoint etc.

512MB for gaming use and "light" CAD - UT2003, Photoshop etc.

1024MB+ would then be for server and workstations.

I have 512MB myself and my comp handels anything I throw at it :)

thanks for the advice everyone, i have be recommended to buy more ram from ebuyer.co.uk is this the best site, and should i be buying DD ram or Ad ram???

sorry about all the stuppid questions but i cant afford to rec my computer.

How can i find out the processsor speed?

:)

thanks for the advice everyone, i have be recommended to buy more ram from ebuyer.co.uk is this the best site, and should i be buying DD ram or Ad ram???

sorry about all the stuppid questions but i cant afford to rec my computer.

How can i find out the processsor speed?

:)

Check out what kind of RAM you have right now, if you buy fasterm they will both run at the speed of the slowest speed, and you cant mix dram, sdram or anything like that, even better would be the same brand since some mixes can cause conflicts..