Frequent DSL disconections

Hi,

I have been having this problem with the ADSL connection that i have since quite sometime....

I have subscribed to a dsl net connection which uses my existing phoneline..the phone guys have provided me with a router D-link 502T...

The installation has been done fine(not much required there)

But the problem is that the connectio does not remain stable..There r four lamps on the front panel of the route

The third lite is labelled as ADSL n is supposed to be stable all thru . But this lamp begins to blink during usage n there is no fixed pattern or anything that i can point out..

Its working fine n i click a link it starts blinking will go out completely n will then again blink to get stable again for a lil while.....

I've reported the matter to the phone company but they say that the cant find any fault with my phone line or at the exchange.

One peculiar thing that i see is ...while using a P2P software(Limewire for example),the disconnection is not detected by the software for a very long period.Also sometimes the help line ppl say that it may be due to disturbance in the ADSL frequency provided on the phone line.

The transfer rate goes down to zero but it shows connected to 7-8 hosts n so even after the connection has been established again the transfer doesnt resume.....

That'll be all from my end..

Guys i'm looking forward to all kinda suggestions from u.

Wot can the problem be.Software or hardware?? Can Win Xp be at fault??

pls do put in ur response

In the TCP/IP properties, there should be a sheet that contains the option "Obtain an IP address Automatically"/"Specify an IP address" with a place to enter the address. It's self-explanatory from there.

I don't think that's the problem. DSL problems are usually related to noise on the line.

Thx pawan

by any chance r u using Triband ??

n how shud i assign IP manually

Yes I am using Triband (Delhi).

To assign IP manually go to control panel -> Network Connection -> right click Local Area Connection -> Properties -> select TCP/IP -> select Properties

ip8dn.jpg

Pawan

Edited by pawan

This occurs when the Modem cannot synchronize with the phone line (DSL line).

You may try the different solutions posted above, however, Im fraid that having a static IP is not going to work.

How far away is the modem from the telephone line? (length of the cable used)

When the modem is away from the telephone wall jack, more than 3 meters, synchronization problems may occour.

In the TCP/IP properties, there should be a sheet that contains the option "Obtain an IP address Automatically"/"Specify an IP address" with a place to enter the address. It's self-explanatory from there.

I don't think that's the problem. DSL problems are usually related to noise on the line.

This occurs when the Modem cannot synchronize with the phone line (DSL line).

You may try the different solutions posted above, however, Im fraid that having a static IP is not going to work.

How far away is the modem from the telephone line? (length of the cable used)

When the modem is away from the telephone wall jack, more than 3 meters, synchronization problems may occour.

--------------------

i kinda agree with u guys..There is noise in the phone line for sure....

n in India we usually get cables straight from poles installed...n in my case

the length of cable between the pole socket n my comp is much greater than 3 metre n hence maybe the reason of the frequent drop outs....

So guys wot do u suggest as a solution...shortening the length of the cable or is there any other solution as well like using a better cable or something(I'm on a 256 KBPS connection)??

Soebody suggested disconnecting the phones while using DSL may help...

I'm carrying out the experiments here....

will look forward to all ur suggestions

n yes Thx to u all for ur response

This frequent disturbance is such a pain.

Yes I am using Triband (Delhi).

To assign IP manually go to control panel -> Network Connection -> right click Local Area Connection -> Properties -> select TCP/IP -> select Properties

Pawan

the guy from mtnl has already tried this pawan..wasnt much help

anyway thx again...

Edited by the_anomaly

Hi again. Like I was affraid, this is just what happened to me. Wich is not good ...

Im sorry to hear that the above solutions didn't worked. About the noise in the line ... Yes. There is noise in the line.

The problem is that some modems are more sensitive to this kind of problem, and, when the noise is to high, they automatacly disconnect.

A solution? Well, I can say by personnel experience that, there are none!

I had a ADSL2MUE modem that wouldn't work 10meters or 20cm away from the wall dsl jack. The same thing that is happening to you, happened to me.

So, what I can advise you to do is, buy one of those stock modems that normally are sould by the ISP. In my case, a 100€ modem wouldn't work, but my ugly Alcatel Speedtouch worked like a charm.

I know this post wasn't much of help, however, there is just no solution to our problem! :(

Edited by Gouki

Hi again,

@Gouki

Ur post was really disappointing man.Coz this the best service available at a reasonable price.

Abt the router i'm using the one provided by the ISP but still i have this problem...

@Pawan

I guess the length of the cable from the line splitter is the same for users coz the cable that goes into the router from the splitter is provided by MTNL ppl n it has a fixed length..

Regarding the noise issue i've been running around the concerned ppl but they cant sort it out....

But i've put in another complaint n am hoping for the best.

Wot really amazes me is that the connection doesnt snap every time during usage .. It just gets snapped when i click on a link n then theres no end to the drop outs...Its so so irritating....the erratic behaviour is such a pain...

Anyways,Thx guys for ur help...N if anyone has any other suggestions or advice or thoughts pls do put in a few lines.

I''ll keep checking the thread.

Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the D-link 502T?

i dont think its a software problemm.......

if it wud have been the problem wont have been as erratic as it is... it does not happen everytime or at regular intervals

thx for the response though

Wish I could help you out in any other way, unfornatly, I cant!

I was lucky with the modem they gave me. Its old, its ugly, but It works with noise on the line. Something I cant say for ADSL2MUE.

I would advise you buying one like mine. I doesnt have Ethernet port, so you would need a computer to share the internet connection, but it is still better than nothing. Or you can borrow a modem from your friends until you find one that isnt so sensible about the noise in the line. When you found one that works, buy one just like it.

Edited by Gouki

Thx again mate

but i dunno if its possible for me to find such a router..

But wot i'm trying to do is get rid of the m=noise..i've registered a complaint n will have to run around the telephone guys so as to make sure something is done abt the noise...