vista bootmgr

dAbReAkA

i installed vista in drive D and i have windows XP in drive C how to get rid of the vista bootmgr which loads before ntloader and then loads the ntloader.. neither c:\boot\fixntfs -xp nor c:\boot\fixntfs -xp helped me.. i even trield fdisk /mbr or fixmbr in the recovery console.. i read something about fixboot but i was said to format the drive with vista after you do the fixboot thing :) how can i get rid of the bootmgr without losing any data? thx in advance..

i even trield fdisk /mbr or fixmbr in the recovery console.

:w00t:

I didn't know that Recovery Console had FDISK.

You can TRY to use this nice utility MBRFIX:

link is on my page

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.net/

together with my small GUI for it

Though I suspect that VISTA does NOT change just the MBR, but also the BOOTSECTOR of the C:\ partition.

If that partition is FAT, you can use bootpart to repair it:

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Try foolowing the instructions here:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/microsoft_vista_tips1040.html

Also read this:

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about66468.html

Otherwise you will probably need to hexedit your bootsector, NOT a nice chore.

jaclaz

i read the last thing but the "format the vista partition" is what i don't like

it appears on the other site too ... 9. Format Your Vista Partition

maybe i'll have to live with it.. it's a little annoying i can see my monitor switching off for 2-3 seconds and the windows is booting.. it's because it boots using the vista boot manager and then loading the ntloader from there.. a little slower, but still works.. also i have to have the file bootmgr in my root drive :)

as for the recovery console thing i was just saying that i tried fdisk /mbr in the windows 98 startup disk and also fixmbr in the recovery console (which does absolutely the same thing i think :P) ... i f***ed up with vista.. yes it changes the bootsector for sure.. not a nice surprise from microsoft

Edited by dAbReAkA

All I had to do is use the recovery console in XP to fix the MBR. All I did is start the Recovery Console and typed "FIXMBR" (without quotes) and let it do its thing then I also typed in "FIXBOOT" (without quotes) and restarted the computer and it booted streight to Windows XP Professional without bringing up any other choices.

as for the recovery console thing i was just saying that i tried fdisk /mbr in the windows 98 startup disk and also fixmbr in the recovery console

Yep, I thought that, just trying to make some humour. ;)

yes it changes the bootsector for sure.. not a nice surprise from microsoft

Well nothing compared when they gave away the Win2k 120 days trial disk, that once installed on dual-boot on a NT4 system, changed the NTFS FILESYSTEM, upgrading it, with NO warning and the NT4 chkdsk did not work anymore!

Here is an article of the MS knowledgebase, though maybe it is useless, probably even the second copy of the bootsector has been changed by VISTA:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q153973

A test you could try, (only if you have a backup) is trying a Repair install from the XP CD.

jaclaz

for any one else that runs across this same issue... if you fire up msconfig under xp and look at the boot.ini (which no longer exists). scroll up...

;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.

;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.

and from BCDEDIT.exe...
D:\Windows\System32>bcdedit.exe /?

BCDEDIT - Boot Configuration Data Store Editor

The Bcdedit.exe command-line tool modifies the boot configuration data store.

The boot configuration data store contains boot configuration parameters and

controls how the operating system is booted. These parameters were previously

in the Boot.ini file (in BIOS-based operating systems) or in the nonvolatile

RAM entries (in Extensible Firmware Interface-based operating systems). You can

use Bcdedit.exe to add, delete, edit, and append entries in the boot

configuration data store.

For detailed command and option information, type bcdedit.exe /? <command>. For

example, type "bcdedit.exe /? /createstore" (without quotes).

actually something else happened to me

at the last step of the install (completing installation - please do not restart during this time) there was a power cut.. not everything was installed and it started installing again.. i stopped it and booted in XP (using miniPE to delete some files, fixmbr in the recovery console, blahblah..) i opened boot.ini and i saw that and started searching for bcedit.exe but never found it.. i guess it wasn't able to install.. anyways i fixed the problem