Autorun Install Program

chriskoivu

This program is launched when you insert a CD\DVD in windows.

What it does is it lets you choose what program you want to

install from a drop down box. It is configurable to allow

you to add your programs to the drop down box by editing

a file called installer.dat in Notepad. It is free to use. I was

looking for a program like it on the internet, got frustrated

when everybody wanted ridiculous sums of money for a

program that takes 10 minutes to write. It is a small program.

I have tested it on Windows XP and it works fine. ;)

Installer.zip

That program is nothing like mine.... read my thread.....

This program is for installing software, not for making

iso's or dvd's.... I thought somebody would like a

free program instead of criticizing it... I didnt intend

on sending my software to a Best Software contest.

I just wrote a program I thought people could use..

You try to be nice, and some people just dont appreciate

it......

Why would I download a program when I can write one

that would serve my purpose??? Are you

I come in peace :P (I thought I'd better write that first since it seams quite heated around here).

I actually like your installer. It's quick and easy to use, exactly what I need for my multi-boot disc to start the Windows upgrade installers.

I have two requests though.

1. Would it be possable to add an option to change the title text to fit with what ever purpose the disc was for. Obviously you would want to keep the copywrite bit or even add to it since you made the installer.

2. Work on creating a way of copying..........wait for it........... five digit codes ...........in to five boxes............ can you see were I'm going with this?!! :D Either that or anyway other way you can make it easier to input serials with out pen and paper, since I'm just gonna add them to the display area on the installer for now.

I know the second request is probably gonna be a ball ache so if you can't do it, it doesn't matter. I'm still gonna use this installer cos I like it. :thumbup

Keep up the good work.

Edited by kof94

I must say it is very very very very easy 2 use

I like ur "KISS" way

Simple and does the same work as many others

Just a suggestion

->make it windows theme compatible so it will look good

->may b a background image will be great

both things are easy to do i think so

That program is nothing like mine.... read my thread..... This program is for installing software, not for making

iso's or dvd's....

Not that I get angry or something like it, but my Autorun IS for installing software with the possibility to create ISO / DVD; but again: it is just an additional feature. So please: Read my thread, too.

But I can see that someone wants a more leightweight autorun without all these gadgets and gizmos and that such people prefer yours. And also I like the idea of giving alternatives.

So here's one suggestion: Try to make it possible to let the user switch between a ComboBox and a ListBox. A listbox will make it easier to find an select something.

Edited by TrooperMan

If you don't mine me asking, how easy it to make a program like this?

I'd like to be able to make my own to suit my needs!

I have no idea about writing programs but I'm willing to learn, it just depends on how difficult it is.

At the moment I'm faced with either expanding on your menu or customising Trooperman's which means learming html. :}

Final question, are you developing this? If so I'll shutup and be patient. :D

I come in peace (I thought I'd better write that first since it seams quite heated around here).

I actually like your installer. It's quick and easy to use, exactly what I need for my multi-boot disc to start the Windows upgrade installers.

I have two requests though.

1. Would it be possable to add an option to change the title text to fit with what ever purpose the disc was for. Obviously you would want to keep the copywrite bit or even add to it since you made the installer.

2. Work on creating a way of copying..........wait for it........... five digit codes ...........in to five boxes............ can you see were I'm going with this?!! Either that or anyway other way you can make it easier to input serials with out pen and paper, since I'm just gonna add them to the display area on the installer for now.

I know the second request is probably gonna be a ball ache so if you can't do it, it doesn't matter. I'm still gonna use this installer cos I like it.

Keep up the good work.

The title thing is not a Problem... I am not quite sure what you are asking about when you are

referring to the serial number situation. Are you wanting the serial numbers to be displayed w/

a pop up box? or appear on the form, if you are asking if i can write it to enter a serial number

into the install process, there may be a problem with some programs that do not allow for silent

installations.

As far as Trooper is concerned, he is right. His program accomplishes the same thing, and it is

nice. I just wanted to create something light weight, that can run off the cd when you insert it in

the drive, without having to rely on other programs, ie Internet Explorer

I wrote this program w/ Visual Basic, it is simpler that way...

That program is nothing like mine.... read my thread..... This program is for installing software, not for making

iso's or dvd's....

Not that I get angry or something like it, but my Autorun IS for installing software with the possibility to create ISO / DVD; but again: it is just an additional feature. So please: Read my thread, too.

But I can see that someone wants a more leightweight autorun without all these gadgets and gizmos and that such people prefer yours. And also I like the idea of giving alternatives.

So here's one suggestion: Try to make it possible to let the user switch between a ComboBox and a ListBox. A listbox will make it easier to find an select something.

I do like your program, But yours is designed for Windows installations, Mine is more of a modification

on the Autorun.inf file found on many Software CD's... And yours is setup to run from Internet Explorer.

I do like the features you have on your program, but mine isnt intended to be like yours. I designed mine

to be a runalone simple control, nothing as elaborate or fancy as yours. I was just upset about people

taking pot shots at me for something I was sharing for free. I dont care if people modify my code for

their own use, just that people dont use it for spreading viruses or doing something illegal. I would be

willing to email the source if people want to modify for their own purpose.

A pop up box could be good so you can alt+tab between it so long as the code is selectable for copy+paste.

I don't wan't to make your project overly complicated because it's simplicity of use is one of the best things about it. So anyway thats simple to implement is good for me.

Afew other things:

1. Could the drop down box be wider.

2. Could the message box be afew lines larger and abit wider.

3. Source would be good I'd rather learn VB than html.

Thats all.

Edited by kof94

• 1 year later...

I am not quite sure what you are asking for. I can tell from the amount of downloads that this is a popular program. What would everybody suggest that I add to it? I have another one that creates and runs a batch file to install hotfixes. you save the tool on your c drive and browse to a folder containing only your hotfixes. Keep the folder name under 8 characters.

HotfixInstall.exe

I have over 1,000 downloads of this program, so I may just develop this further. Anybody

have any ideas on these prospective features:

1) Adding a configurable option of either dropdown combo box, radio buttons, or push/toggle buttons.

2) Allow the addition of JPG, BMP, or GIF Backgrounds.

3) Allow the title bar to change to your liking.

4) Eliminate the 16 Program Limit.

Of course I will need to charge a nominal $5.00 per copy if I am going to invest the time.

But I will keep the free version available.