[Question] - User accounts in windows xp sp2

raza

Hey u all. I was on a routine check of my windows when i opened user accounts from control panel to find this new account with some strange name, I even searched the documents and settings folders for the files of that user but there was nothing so I just deleted the account. The thing which surprised me was that I have antivirus and antispyware also so how did this happen??

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

ASPNET user is created by .NET FrameWork (a library/api for the "next"/new generation program for windows ^^ similar to java ...) and the installer activate this account instead of hiding/disable ... but it's not a problem, just another mistake of microsoft !

The ASP.Net Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created to run the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services, which allows ASP.Net to run on your local web server (this is basically its only usefulness, as it is not used to run normal .net managed executables). There is no need to worry about this user's presence on your system, as it was not created in malicious way by a virus or spyware. Note that there is yet another user account created for the ASP.Net worker process (aspnet_wp.exe) so that it does not run with administrator privileges.

You can delete the ASP.Net Machine account, but it is vital if you do ASP.Net development work on your machine. By removing the account you may find your ASP.Net projects will no longer function correctly.

It is possible to recreate the user by issuing the following command from the run dialog (changing the framework version number as appropriate):

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

Edited by cluberti

Hey u all. I was on a routine check of my windows when i opened user accounts from control panel to find this new account with some strange name, I even searched the documents and settings folders for the files of that user but there was nothing so I just deleted the account. The thing which surprised me was that I have antivirus and antispyware also so how did this happen??

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

hey, ya!

I can relate i got that too one day. I also had antivirus and sypware software installed, and it was a really weird name almost like a email address or something! What picture did windows give it?