Remove WMP10

Tomcat76

The other day, for testing purposes, I wanted to remove WMP10 (slipstreamed into Windows XP with HFSLIP) and install WMP8. This method worked for me in the past when WMP9 was integrated through a Service Pack:

1) RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %WINDIR%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

2) Clear dllcache

3) Install WMP8. In the WFP window, click Cancel at the prompt to insert the WinXP installation CD and then OK to the prompt to keep things as they are.

Now, I'm already stuck at the first step. When inserting that command into a Run box and pressing Enter, a DOS box appears but quickly disappears and nothing happens. Doesn't HFSLIP modify wmp.inf or am I doing something wrong?

By slipstreaming WMP10, you are slipstreaming/adding LOTS of extra bloatware (or is it malware?) that comes along with WMP10. I think it was a dozen or so extra files AND 4 or more inf files (one of those has an uninstaller). The INF file with the uninstaller is NOT resident on PC after installing from sourcess. You need to go into the hfslip'd installation cd and locate the correct HFSLIP__.INF file that uninstalls WMP10. The actual name of the hfslip__.inf file depends on how many hotfixes you slipstreamed. My advice, start from the high numbers and work back. You'll probably need to modify the inf file for the uninstall to work though.

But to answer your Q, I doubt that HFSLIP alters the original WMP.INF, but if in doubt, open the sourcess\i386 and look at the filedate. If the filedate is the same as the other repacked binaries, then yes, HFSLIP did modify it. Sorry to be vague with the answer. :)

I got 14 INFs for WMP in my SOURCESS. Does that make me god? :rolleyes:

There are several which contain uninstall information, but I take it I pick the biggest of the bunch... the one which also contains the "HKLM\...\Uninstall\Windows Media Player" reg keys.

Edit: HFSLIP doesn't modify wmp.dll.

Edited by Tomcat76