Being that Win9x was created at a time when lower

resolutions were more common wouldn't that work

better on my TV screen?" Has anyone else done this

and can they give a comparison as to how much better

or worse the screen looks in Win9x than WinXP on a

standard TV set?

Thanks in advance!

-iWindoze

i really don't think it will make a difference...

1024x768 on Win98 is going to look the same as 1024x768 on WinXP...

there really isn't much you can do with TVs...ever wonder why a 21" Monitor was so expensive compared to a normal TV of the same size??? the Computer Monitors are much higher quality in terms of the picture they display...

I have a MCE PC, which i was running a 50cm TV...for watching digital TV and stuff, it was fine...(well, mostly) but in Windows, it was terrible!!!!

a few days ago i got myself a 32" WideScreen LCD TV...looks perfect now, both watching TV and in Windows (although, i didn't realise how poor quality DVDs actually were :P)

Windows XP on a normal TV is absolutely awful... the closest thing you can get to having a good view is set the resolution to 640x480 and it looks half-decent...

I have created in LiteStep though, a shell which has my listed games and programs in a menu, works great... I might give it out if people want it :P

Doesn't Windows XP refuse to run in any resolution lower than 800x600 and have to be altered to run in 640x480? With some adjustment to the drivers, I've been able to run Windows 98 in 320x240x256; although it looks rediculous at such a low resolution on a computer monitor, it might just be more readable on a TV.

Also, if you're hinting at the more stylised GUI elements in XP being the cause of the readability issues, you could turn those off. XP and 98 look nearly identical when XP is running in the Classic GUI mode.

A friend gave me a DVD with several episodes of Star Trek on it. I wanted to see it on my 25" TV using sVideo.

I found that I had to have the 'puter turned off when I hooked up the sVideo cable. When I turned on the 'puter, it saw the sVideo line active and shut down my video output to a low resolution level.

The picture on the TV was viewable but not nearly as nice as the one on my 21" Nokia monitor.

Now I don't even bother with the TV any more, I just watch my vid's on my PC monitor. A bit smaller but so very much clearer.

Not sure why, but my 21" monitor weighs half again more than my 25" TV.

It's sure one Heavy little dude.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Andromeda43

I have a MCE PC, which i was running a 50cm TV...for watching digital TV and stuff, it was fine...(well, mostly) but in Windows, it was terrible!!!!

That was my experience as well...in Windows MCE using the MCE shell everything was great...fantastic even! But the moment I tried to do anything other than straight up playing media files the system was impossible. I originally did some searching for a web browser app for the MCE shell only to find none exists.

So my thinking was why not just go with 640x480 on a system that tends to default to lower resolutions?

--iWindoze

Windows XP on a normal TV is absolutely awful... the closest thing you can get to having a good view is set the resolution to 640x480 and it looks half-decent...

I have created in LiteStep though, a shell which has my listed games and programs in a menu, works great... I might give it out if people want it :P

I'd be interested in seeing this! What are you using for apps? I ask this because I can't seem to get a consistant font size with my various apps...stuff like Shareaza just refuses to use higher fonts. THen again if I run in640x480 that'd hardly be an issue....

Please post the skin at your earliest convience!

--iWindoze

Now I don't even bother with the TV any more, I just watch my vid's on my PC monitor. A bit smaller but so very much clearer.

Not sure why, but my 21" monitor weighs half again more than my 25" TV.

It's sure one Heavy little dude.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Andromeda43

I'm, giving this option some hard thought...the televison I'm using is a bit problematic (problematic = cheap) and I'm thinking of taking it back to the store while there's still time under manufacturer \store \ and extended store warranty to do so...if I can find a nice one for roughly the same price as the tv I picked up I'll just go with that. My old WinTV card still works (just barely) and I'm planning on picking up a new MCE compatible one anyway sooo...this might all work oput for the best anyway..

--iWindoze

PS: Thanks for the replies!

Edited by iWindoze