Removing the IHS

Aegis

Opteron146_Pic1.jpg:P

You insert razor blade in the middle of left part of cpu, and then slice through silicon with pliers

Take a look at your pu, you'll see smal gap, about 2cm, that's were you insert blade

I used small blade from generic shaving razors, just crack the plastic on 'em and take out the razor

heres a nice guide on it,

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=61534

some key notes:

heating the procesor first makes this easier.

you have a GREAT chance of destroying your proceser.

DO NOT do this if you have a heavy heatsink like the xp-90c

this is for the person that is a DIE HARD overclocker, chances are if you dont know every tweak you wont benifit much.

so to sum it all up:

if you are not overclocking you DO NOT want to remove the ihs it makes a good enough contact for stock-medium overclock use.

Do you have a pic without the plastic over it? And was the IHS making contact with the core when you removed it? I don't want to take unnecessary risks...

You'll have to sand little 4 feet on the plastic that is attached to mobo in front by two screws, but that's n00b easy to do. I always put heatsink on cpu and then take it out and look underneath cooler to see if thermal compund is on it, if it is, then contact between cpu's core and heatsink is good. And iI always lap both the cpu core and heatsink.

dsc014402pu.th.jpg