Universal Extractor

nitro322

site is down, cant download it

Both the c1pher.com download site and the legroom.net main site are currently up. I rebooted the legroom.net server around 2:00am this morning for a kernel upgrade, but it was only down for a few minutes. c1pher.com runs on a managed hosting provider, and I have not received any report of downtime on this server.

Can you please check again? If you're still having problems with either site, please let me know.

Edited by nitro322

First of all, thank you for attempting to fix Win9x issues.

I'll look into the other issues you reported when I get a chance.

An improvement might be the option to remember (at least) last source folder when browsing for a package to extract, instead of always opening the bin folder where the Uniextract exe is.

It actually does remember the last folder under NT. I tested and verified that it behaves as you say under 9x, though. I don't know how easy this would be to workaround without digging through the code, but it may just be a limitation of Windows 9x.

One tiny problem that was there probably since the beginning is that the dropdown lists in the initial dialog don't show anything but a fine horizontal line when expanded.

Hmm... I just verified this as well. I've actually never noticed this before, but according to the AutoIt docs is seems to be another 9x limitation:

Under Windows XP/2003 Windows will ajust the size of the opened combo. On other Windows versions you must define this size with the "height" parameter if the default value is not BIG enough to contain at least one line.

Again, I'll take a look at this when I get a chance and see if I can work around it without wasting too much time.

Thanks for the bug reports.

I've downloaded some (read tens) archives from the internet and was extracting them with 7-zip (because of details view). Some could not be extracted so I tried with UE and it told me there was an error and telling me to look at c:\uniextract.txt

First, why in c:\ ?

UE is on e:\ here. imho this could be corrected.

Then, why not a button that would let you open the log file directly instead of letting the user browse by himself ?

Thanks. :)

First, why in c:\ ?

UE is on e:\ here. imho this could be corrected.

Please see post 259 for an answer to this question.

Then, why not a button that would let you open the log file directly instead of letting the user browse by himself?

That's not a bad idea - I'll add that to my list of options to explore for the next version.

Stupid idea edited to avoid international shame. I need to regulate my intake of alcoholic beverages.

Awesome tool, keep up the good work.

Edited by Bernie

nitro322, some chinese users say that the file UniExtract.exe is a virus !!

The users *all* use Rising Antivirus software (瑞星杀毒软件, http://www.rising-global.com/) that is made in China.

The virus's name is : Worm.Agent.fl

just is 1.3.1, 1.2.1 version is not

I use NOD32 and it doesn't give me any warnings

I think Rising Antivirus software took a mistake

Do you think so?

Hi! Very nice software, but I tried to extract files from installers made from slysoft products and Universal Extractor fails the extraction.

I don't know anything about the method of creation of these installers. I hope you should add support for these file types. I made this try, because I'd like to create a portable stand-alone version of anydvd and clonedvd and use them with a pendrive on a pc where I don't have administration rights.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english!

I think Rising Antivirus software took a mistake

Do you think so?

Yeah, this is a false positive. Unfortunately, this seems to be a rather common thing, as AV vendors apparently don't understand that UPX is not used only by virus writers. You can refer back to posts 123-150 or so of this thread for more details about this.

Hi! Very nice software, but I tried to extract files from installers made from slysoft products and Universal Extractor fails the extraction.

No guarantees, but I'll be happy to take a look at it. Can you please post a direct download link?

No guarantees, but I'll be happy to take a look at it. Can you please post a direct download link?

Sure, here they are:

Slysoft AnyDVD: h**p://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe

Slysoft CloneDVD: h**p://static.slysoft.com/SetupCloneDVD.exe

Thanks a lot for the rapid answer and for the time you'll dedicate to my problem!

Some ideas about unpacking

SIS - symbian packages

I found a couple programs that can supposedly do this, but one requires perl, and the other require python. I did find one other Windows GUI program that is supposed to be capable of this, but I didn't download it because it requires registration, which also means it likely isn't freely redistributable.

Gentee Installer

This is the first time I'd ever heard of this. Unfortunately, though, I was unable to figure out any way to extract the files.

SZZD files

This is also a new one for me. I've been able to determine that it's compressed using the same algorithm used by Microsoft's compress.exe and expand.exe (I forget the name, but it's common old format), so I can decompress the file, but I still can't figure out any way to extract the files out of the archive. I found a couple programs for Linux and Amiga that can do it, and a couple shareware programs for Windows, but nothing free.

Sure, here they are:

Slysoft AnyDVD: h**p://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe

This is an old version of NSIS (Nullsoft installer) that is not supported. There is no technical way to extract files from these installers, as far as I'm aware.

Edited by nitro322