Almost died last week

bledd

well, i've finally found out why i can't sleep.

just after i took my painkillers (about ten mins) and two paracetamol to boost them, i read the 'instructions'

tramadol.jpg

i was laughing so much when i read it!, i guess i'll be up till 5am again lads :D

also, to answer your questions!..

a queistion ve been asked a lot "what the hell is that tomato thing, put it away!

tomato,tomatosmall.jpg its called a 'stoma' this is then end of the small intestine, its been sewn to the outside of your stomach so you can attatch the bag around it, it has NO sensation in it, (i've not touched it becuase its been touching poo) but i've touched it with a medical glove on, it feels like the inside of your cheek when you tense your cheek. it petrudes the skin by about 12-15mm -this is so its easier to fit the bag around it.

the small intestine is 6 metres long, so i've still got all my nutrients been taken in, the large intestine (what i had removed) is 1.5 metres long, and its purpose is to extract water from your poo to make it 'hard'. so now since i'm only using my small intestine to extract water, i've got to drink about 8 pints of water or liquids a day -but i like water anyway so thats cool.

see in the picture there's a slight donut shape around the stoma, this is where the bag normally sticks to.

my mate asked me.. 'how do they fit, are they like a matrix style plug in?'

-you can get types like this, but haivng a metal plate on your stomach means, if you were to fall over, the plate is likely to pierce your skin and cause you harm, the slea is 100% leak proof, and usually used for older people who need the ease of use.

the type i've got are like this

bags.jpg

i firstly wipe around the holes with isopropyl alcohol -this totally cleans the skin removing any oil and stickyness from previous bags, then i spray this stuff on called Cavalon, its a liquid that dries on your skin in seconds to create a barrier (it feels like dried super glue) then you cut the bag to size (you can order them pre cut too) -my right hole is 45mm, left is 35mm -its as if all the skin tissue has been circular saw'd away, so it doesn't try to grow back.

you then peel off the label and stick the bag onto the cavalon layer -so its not sticking directly on your skin and causing irritation. after a few days or whatever, you simply peel the bag off, clean the area and do the rest of the process again.

to empty the bags, you sit down as you normally would :) unravel the 'tap' bags2.jpg and use your hand to massage the bag i guess until it all comes out the end into the toilet, you then wipe the end (only a tiny bit of it gets dirty) with toilet paper and its clean again, then fold it over itself a few times and do *** velcro tags bags3.jpg and tuck it away in its small pouch, then you're good to go -you don't get any mess on your hands

@bledd- To be honest, I have a relative with something similar but it never has gotten bad enough to require surgery. According to their doctor, it is an inherited condition that is rare but found mostly amongst northern Europeans. He, my relative, found a corrolation between diet and the problem. Nothing exact but caffiene, MSG, stress and foods with unknown contents (chemicals, spices?) would trigger it. Prior to what just happened to you, did you ever have any intestinal problems, upset stomachs, eat a meal that just ran through you, etc.?

I understand why, but wow, that is one long cut they made on you. Looks like it's healing well.

Nice to see a slightly cluttered desktop. :D Makes me feel better about mine.

Again, thanks for this post. Hopefully, if neccesary, someone will take it as a warning shot.

DL

oi, my desktop is spotless, i'm at my parents house remember!

the cool thing about having the operation is that i now can no longer be affected by the disease, so it isn't there to get me down and make me watch what i'm eating or drinking, and i'll never get those terrifying pains again

cocodamol.jpg

the nurse took away my tramadol (but i managed to sneak 8 of them for future reference) and gave me cocodamol instead, i'm having the odd 2hour power nap now which is good, but i'm still awake for ages most of the time! i slept from 1am till 6am, then 9pm till 11pm today, so feeling kinda fresh now

i've been asked to tone down my emails a bit (its shock and horror to me too people i didn't ask for this!) so here goes

my new painkillers don't make me such a psycho (i showted at my mum for bringing me a plastic cup when i asked for a glass yesterday :( she took it ok tho) which is a good thing, but i get a lot more spaced out and my memory is kerput, i'm too scared to take my pills now beacuse i don't know when i took them last, so my mum's made a chart and my dad, brother and mum sign off my pills then give them to me, might make a graph or something soon

when i'm not keeping my mind busy, i get really agitated and worried, so i've been spending about 21 hours a day (between meals and washing) on the computer, i've got loads done and got a nice little project to work on this week, i'll put details up later this week.

i've uploaded pictures of where I live when i'm at home and the people around me HERE -no gross ones (apart from maybe the whale that decided my beach was a nice place to rest) -beerssummer is my favourite of the lot (looking podgy tho!)

caroline (caz) is my girlfriend, she appreciates the small things in life (her favourite film is amelie) and i love her to bits /expects from lee nick and ruari , bella is my dog, she's as laid back as it gets!, seren (star in welsh) is our new pup, and future sheepdog, tiggy is our 17year old cat, who's had more kittens than i've had hangovers! nina is my sister who married phil this summer, and barrie is their cat, and my mum will kill me for that photo of her!

there's a few pictures of my dodgy uni hair, i've got a photo somewhere of me in a suit with that hair, i'll get my housemate to bring it down for the weekend!

-i might have made a wedsite by the morning, i'm not sure yet, see if i get tired.

take it easy guys

bleddyn

sorry if i offended anyone before -this is an email i sent to work btw guys :)

edit- my cut got a bit infected, so its got iodene on it now and its stinking!

http://bleddyn.co.uk/bledd%20pics/hmm.jpg