me - slow

pcandpc

Hi,

I'm using ME on a rather decent hardware:

Celeron 1.7 GHz with 896 MB DDR RAM

However, I'm noticeably experiencing much

slower performance than ME running on Celeron

400/433 MHz with much smaller and the plain old SDRAM.

I came across somewhere that ME is hit noticeably

with performance degradation on more powerful hardware

settings as in my case.

Is this a joke, and if so, why is ME running on 1.7 GHz

slower than on 400/433 MHz?

Please note that I'm not running whole bunch of

applications all at once. Just the plain ME and some

antivirus program and that's it.

Thanks.

Just the plain ME and some antivirus program and that's it.

Did you have the same antivir running on your older machine ?

Antivirs can significantly impact on the file system speed as they scan files on the fly for virus signatures.

Yeah, if your using norton, mcaffee, or aol 9.0se (or, I suppose, any other bloated, crappy security software), then expect your computer to slow down A LOT. Since winMe is still technically part of the win9x series, I suggest you dump whatever antivirus program you may have, and replace it with AVG or have nothing.

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments.

Come to think of antivirus application,

I'm not sure if I had it run on the old

system or not -- probably, not.

So, is the antivirus the culprit in

the system performance degradation?

Hmm, then, without this antivirus,

what about the security on ME? :)

Get rid of whatever antivirus program you have now, and download AVG antivirus. It is very light on system resources and it gets the job done. It's the "perfect fit" for the win9x series, because those old OS's are not the target of virus writers/hackers anymore, and it's a pretty small program. And it's free, of course. I would recommend Zone Alarm as well, if you're using dialup, though that does tend to slow down your system a little bit.

No matter what your system specs are, your computer will be slow and unstable if you have:

1. Norton Antivirus 2003-2005... especially 2004...horrible piece of crap

2. AOL 9.0 Security Edition...mixed with WinMe=crash, crash, crash

3. McAffee Antivirus (any version)...they're all pretty slow and resource consuming

4. Startup applications- go to msconfig and try to eliminate some unneeded background services from starting up. It really helps; you wouldn't believe the amount of sh!t that I cleaned out of my computer!

So, is the antivirus the culprit in the system performance degradation?

That was merely the suggestion of a likely cause. If you want an answer to this question, uninstall your antivir and run your OS for even just ten minutes without it and see if it makes a big difference. Then post again.

Edited by eidenk

Get rid of whatever antivirus program you have now, and download AVG antivirus. It is very light on system resources and it gets the job done. It's the "perfect fit" for the win9x series, because those old OS's are not the target of virus writers/hackers anymore, and it's a pretty small program. And it's free, of course. I would recommend Zone Alarm as well, if you're using dialup, though that does tend to slow down your system a little bit.

No matter what your system specs are, your computer will be slow and unstable if you have:

1. Norton Antivirus 2003-2005... especially 2004...horrible piece of crap

2. AOL 9.0 Security Edition...mixed with WinMe=crash, crash, crash

3. McAffee Antivirus (any version)...they're all pretty slow and resource consuming

4. Startup applications- go to msconfig and try to eliminate some unneeded background services from starting up. It really helps; you wouldn't believe the amount of sh!t that I cleaned out of my computer!

I take exception to that..... :no:

Well, not really, but I thought I was the only person on the net who talked that way. :thumbup

That's almost word for word what I am constantly telling people. And being flamed for...

And that's not based on personal opinion or predudice. That's based on 40 years of experience as a tech and many years taking Norton off of my customer's PC's, and then removing all the viruses that Norton never even saw. (God, I hate that program....It's the only software I know that can reduce a nice running little PC to a whimpering mess. Like a whipped pup.)

Great Call!

Happy Holidays everyone,

Andromeda43

As far as the specifications are concerned, you didn't mention how much plain old SDRAM in the "lesser" machine. If I remember right, Win 98 took a hit with too much memory (it couldn't cache it all properly) and thus slowed down...

Hmmm... Never mind, I think that was with TAG ram and 486 mobos.... :blushing:

I must note however that I did have a "boot race" between some beefy Pentium 4 (at least 1.3GHz if there ever was such a speed) and my Athelon 1300. The AMD just flew rings around the Intel setup.

I'm assuming it has always been slow on the "fast" machine. If that's the case, perhaps the specs might be great, but it could be a poorly engineered board. Also in the bios, do you have optimized settings? or a ton of wait states and such slowing you down there? Maybe your BIOS is too old and there's an update to fix it....

Also what hard drive are you using? I've seen the same computer go from snore to a decent jog as far as speed increase with an HD that 8MB cache and spun at faster RPM.....

Just some rambling thoughts to consider...

Again, thanks for all your comments.

First off, as far as the difference in having

an antivirus application with built-in firewall

running or not, I don't see a huge one.

Why do I still use ME to these days?

I just reinstalled this OS so that I wouldn't

totally be ignorant of it :) Partly, I kind of

miss this ME interface and look :)

As far as the DDR RAM, it's indeed 512 +

256 + 128 = 896 MB (physically speaking).

On the old machine? I don't remember

the exact figure but probably well lower

than half of the 896 MB.

I might eventually replace this ME with Linux

or something like that but until then I'll just

keep it around. Why not :)

Oh, as far as the hard drive that ME's running on,

it's Maxtor 80 GB with some CACHE (not sure how

much though).

By the way, prior to this ME, I had XP Home on

the same machine and the performance was just

wonderful. The systemboard is AsRock P4AL-800.

Thanks.