Nero 6.6 and Lite-On DVD-R no burn

I use to have Nero 5.5 with a Lite-On CD-RW burner that worked fine before I formatted and reinstalled 98SE, then my Lite-On DVD-RW drive and finally the service pack.

I cannot burn nrg files or even iso files... when I try, I get a "Command Sequence Error / Cannot Start Disc-at-once" error message and the burn fails.

After numerous and frankly useless e-mails with both Nero and Lite-On tech support, I assume there might be a problem with my setup and the service pack.

So, I hope someone can see this and maybe relate?

Here are my specs:

Antec TruePower 380W

Jabil Kadoka rev. 4 AMD 750 Chipset Mobo w/ latest BIOS update

256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM (1 x 128MB, 2 x 64MB)

Riva TNT2 M64 Vid Card with Nvidia 4.14.10.4523 drivers

2Wire PC Port USB HPNA Adapter w/ latest drivers

SB Audigy Platinum

AMD IDE Controller 1.36 driver

20 GB Quantum Fireball AS on IDE channel 1 (Master)

80 GB Western Digital WD80 on IDE channel 1 (Slave)

Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-1693S w/ latest firmware on IDE channel 2 (Master), Auto-insert notification is off per Nero documentation and there is no DMA checkbox, which is due to the AMD IDE 1.36 driver (IDEDMADRIVE0 is set to 01 under Secondary Bus Master IDE Controller in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\hdc\0005)

Nero Express 6.6.0.13

Latest DirectX 9

Avast! AV 4.6.739

Resources:

0 System timer

1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard

2 Programmable interrupt controller

3 (free)

4 (free)

5 (free)

6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller

7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

8 System CMOS/real time clock

9 Creative SB Audigy

9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus

10 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse

13 Numeric data processor

14 Primary Bus Master IDE controller

14 AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.36

15 Secondary Bus Master IDE controller

15 AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.36

DMA:

0 (free)

1 (free)

2 Standard Floppy Disk Controller

3 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

4 Direct memory access controller

5 (free)

6 (free)

7 (free)

Could the "newer" Configmg be causing this?

Edited by 303

I use to have Nero 5.5 with a Lite-On CD-RW burner that worked fine before I formatted and reinstalled 98SE, then my Lite-On DVD-RW drive and finally the service pack.

I cannot burn nrg files or even iso files... when I try, I get a "Command Sequence Error / Cannot Start Disc-at-once" error message and the burn fails.

After numerous and frankly useless e-mails with both Nero and Lite-On tech support, I assume there might be a problem with my setup and the service pack.

* Did you install Adaptec's ASPI ?

* Did you install AMD IRQ Driver ?

Edited by Gape

I also use Nero but I use version 6.3.1.25 under both my WinME and my brother's WinXP machine.

Try updating Nero 6.6 to version 6.6.0.18 here:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

Also, try burning your CDs at lower speeds. Burning any CDs or DVDs at super high speeds are more

likely to have problems.

Install Adaptec's ASPI driver version 4.72 [NOT version 4.61].

if not, revert back to Nero 5.5 but use version 5.5.10.56 which is the latest Nero 5.5 release.

Edited by erpdude8

* Did you install Adaptec's ASPI ?

* Did you install AMD IRQ Driver ?

No, I wasn't aware that 98SE or Nero 6.6 needed that ASPI layer...?

and

Yes all latest AMD drivers

I also use Nero but I use version 6.3.1.25 under both my WinME and my brother's WinXP machine.

Try updating Nero 6.6 to version 6.6.0.18 here:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

Also, try burning your CDs at lower speeds. Burning any CDs or DVDs at super high speeds are more

likely to have problems.

Install Adaptec's ASPI driver version 4.72 [NOT version 4.61].

if not, revert back to Nero 5.5 but use version 5.5.10.56 which is the latest Nero 5.5 release.

Does 6.6 have problems vs. 6.3?

I tried the 6.6.0.18....no go.

I *always* burn at the lowest speed with audio, and no more than 12x with anything else... :)

I'll try the new ASPI

Edited by 303

I have the slightly older Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-1633S... and using it with Nero 6.6.0.3 working perfectly.

In the hardware properties DMA is enabled, Disconnect is also enabled, and Sync Data is Off.

I'm thinking your problem is something to do with the DMA.

I have the slightly older Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-1633S... and using it with Nero 6.6.0.3 working perfectly.

In the hardware properties DMA is enabled, Disconnect is also enabled, and Sync Data is Off.

I'm thinking your problem is something to do with the DMA.

Well, with the AMD IDE drivers, there is no option to enable DMA in the Drives' properties..

From AMD's driver page:

Q: Why has the DMA box disappeared in the hard disk Device Manager under Windows 95/98?

A: The DMA box can only be used with the standard Microsoft driver. When a third-party driver is installed (such as the AMD EIDE Driver), the DMA box will no longer appear. However, the driver is programmed to use all devices in their most optimal configuration. Therefore, if DMA is available for that particular device, the driver will use it.

Maybe my problem has something to do with the fact that the AMD 750 chipset is one of the WORST ever put out.

So who uses M$'s IDE drivers vs. say, AMD's?

Should I?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, 303. You're better off removing the AMD IDE drivers and just use the MS IDE drivers which do not give Nero 6.6 problems.

Just released on Jan. 31, 2006 is Nero 6.6.1.4 [i now use Nero 6.6.1.4 instead of Nero 6.3.1.25]:

http://www.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

I also think that 3rd party IDE drivers may give Nero 6.6 fits (just like what Intel Application Acclerator IDE drivers did with the Nero 6.x software I had). Stick to using the built-in MS IDE drivers when using Nero. Since you have Avast! antivirus software installed, make sure it is disabled while using Nero. There's nothing more maddening than to have an antivirus and/or firewall software interfere with Nero and ruin your burned CDs.

also Defrag your HD before using Nero to burn stuff onto a CD. that way it'll be easier for Nero to copy data from the HD to the CD burner.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe my problem has something to do with the fact that the AMD 750 chipset is one of the WORST ever put out.

So who uses M$'s IDE drivers vs. say, AMD's?

Should I?

The AMD 750 chipset hardware isnt the problem, 303. It's the AMD Ultra ATA/EIDE drivers. they seem to NOT get along with the Nero 6.x burning rom software. The built-in MS IDE drivers from XP worked well with Nero 6.6 on my brother's XP computer.

You could also try upgrading to Nero 7 but upgrading from Nero 6.x to Nero 7.x is NOT free. You must buy a license to use Nero 7. Lucky me, I found a product box containing the Nero 7 software at a local computer electronics store. Perhaps Nero 7 will work OK with the AMD IDE drivers.

Thank you LLXX!!!

303, hope this helps you

I did the same thing as 303... fresh install of 98se on an older machine that (thanks to norton) had to be reloaded. Nero Express 6 worked fine before, then I had all kinds of write problems.

I have an ABIT KT7A-RAID w/VIA chipset and loaded (VIA) recommended drivers and busmaster drivers. VIA IDETOOL said DMA was enabled, but didn't even show up on properties for DVDRW/CDRW drive. I ran the setup for the VIA 443 drivers, selected uninstall for everything, rebooted, installed VIA 338 drivers (all except IRQ miniport, 98se has those), rebooted... DMA shows up in properties, is enabled, i b burnin' again!

Thank you again LLXX and erpdude8.

Edited by crcaldwell

Thank you LLXX!!!

303, hope this helps you

I did the same thing as 303... fresh install of 98se on an older machine that (thanks to norton) had to be reloaded. Nero Express 6 worked fine before, then I had all kinds of write problems.

I have an ABIT KT7A-RAID w/VIA chipset and loaded (VIA) recommended drivers and busmaster drivers. VIA IDETOOL said DMA was enabled, but didn't even show up on properties for DVDRW/CDRW drive. I ran the setup for the VIA 443 drivers, selected uninstall for everything, rebooted, installed VIA 338 drivers (all except IRQ miniport, 98se has those), rebooted... DMA shows up in properties, is enabled, i b burnin' again!

Thank you again LLXX and erpdude8.

your welcome. It looks like what crcaldwell did is to un-install the VIA drivers, re-install most of the VIA drivers except the IRQ driver and that took care of the problem.

303 might want to remove all the AMD drivers, re-install the AMD drivers except for the AMD IRQ driver to see if that will make the write problems for his CD burner go away.

BTW, LLXX, Nero 6.6.1.4 is available.