[win2k]DHCP Server

BigDaddy

If you are asking whether or not you can set up a DHCP server on a Windows 2000 Professional machine, yes. However, it will not be from Microsoft - you will have to use a 3rd party DHCP server product, such as Vicomsoft DHCP server or Incognito IP Commander.

This might be the time to enter the world of linux and build your own Gentoo DHCP server for free...

I know someone that said they were going to try it. If you want I can ask them for links to handbooks and stuff.

This might be the time to enter the world of linux and build your own Gentoo DHCP server for free...

I know someone that said they were going to try it. If you want I can ask them for links to handbooks and stuff.

Personally I would but its for a friend of mine's mother. And she hardly knows anything about windows. Im sure she has never even heard about LINUX.

The PC is:

PII 350, 198RAM, 40GB HITACHI 7200 DEATHSTAR HDD, 2NICs

But works very slowly. Have no idea why since I removed as much services as possible and tweaked it but no matter what I do it's still slow. Perhaps I should install Win2k PRO on it with an NLITED WIN2k CD and not the native Win2k.

btw. How fast should WIN2k work on the above machine?

euwh, - letme ask this??? what do you wnat to do with this machine other than running a dhcp???? ar you realy only looking for it as router????

if so, you dont even nead the hard drive, (one with 5400rm and 1gb would be WAY more than enouth (ore even without it - (just a flopie-disk would be enought thou a harddisk word be a better choice (for durabilitie).

(if you one want to use a router, concidder FREESCO

or you want more options, there are awail server based versions of thing like DSL (**** small linux) and the likes.... whatever you want, and nead...

BUT DO KEEP IN MIND THIS...

if its realy only DHCP that you want,

you'd better, put the thing on ebay, - collect about $50 bucks - and buy a router instead - This is because:

> a full-blown PII machine uses so much power and noise, that if you'd leave it on for about 6 hours a day (without rebooting it every time you leav your own computer (if youd do that it likely would cost you even more)), I know for a fact that your enegy bill would be higher, than, than if you 'd buy a real router, and never pull the plug for the same year....

(costs of router + cost of energy bill from leaving on the router < (is lesser than) Leaving Bigg computer running for 6hours a day, even wouthout monitor and cdrom and stuff like that enabled). besidess, the PII makes probebly about 20-db and the rother less than 3....

Edited by -I-

The one thing to make a computer faster is to add physical memory (RAM), and conversely, a slow machine (assuming it's free from viruses and spyware) is almost always slow due to a lack of RAM. The 350MHz processor doesn't help, but the RAM is where the real bottleneck is. A PII 350MHz machine with 512MB of RAM can run Windows 2000 quite fast - it boots slow, and applications load a little slower than on a new machine, but the actual usability of the machine is quite good. Even 256MB of RAM would help a bit with this box.

Cluberti is so right. My uncle had a P2 400mhz with 384mb of memory until last year. It was able to load webpages and start MS Office quite fast...I was actually surprised.

My mother has a laptop that's 1.6ghz. I borrowed it recently when my HD went down, and the measly 512mb of memory got filled up really fast, and then it took dozens of seconds to do anything. :D

Now I'm back on my 2.1ghz with 1024mb of memory, and I barely ever run over 256mb. If you have the technical know-how, I'd recommend nLite'ing. Just try not to break anything for your friend's mother. I broke lots when I HFSLIP'd and nLited my box! :thumbup

Also, Win2k boots slow. Compared to both 98SE and XP, it's very slow. On the other hand, XP is doing s*** in the background and won't respond for oodles of minutes if you have antivirus and firewall on a 350mhz. :}

I actually prefer Win2k, since with a few gpedit.msc tweaks you can have it load programs in the background while the MUP is initializing for 11 seconds...

I love Win2k. Especially my nLited which is installed on my NOTEBOOK!

I would add more RAM to that machine but all the memory slots are already full.

KRAMY:

Regarding MUP, have always wondered, what is it anyway it just eats 10s of my boot time doing nothing?

And how do I do this:

I actually prefer Win2k, since with a few gpedit.msc tweaks you can have it load programs in the background while the MUP is initializing for 11 seconds.

350MHz, windows 2000 and 512mb-

OMFG - who thought you computer electronics,

realy it doesn't work that way.

you know what realy suprices me the most is that your mainboard's mem-controler can even go that fare, ill bet it won't take another mb of ram more

just to point somethin out, i must say that, at the time of that cpu being build, standart isue, would be 128, (if your realy eagar for memory u could try 256,

oke i allready hear you say, - so why is my 512 ram, used at max all the time, smart-a**, well - how about, you ram is used for pre-loading, (by the mem controler) and your cpu isn't fast enouth to handle that amount of data. neither is if fast enouth or developed to manage the the contollers, on a way they do now-a-days...

just to, be clear, win200 was release in '99 (around when the PIII 500 / 650 / 768 / and 933 where mainstream hardware, 500 being budget 933 being high-end consumer machine.... wich 64mb (or 128 if you could afford) sdram pc133 being used as normal some mainboards would even allow 256 be used though, i can rember paying over $100 (or more) for it...

id say, nlite the hell out of windows, and dont even bother to use bloatware like McAfee or Norton (use panda or nod32),

install only what you REALY cant do without....

cuz the baby aint gonne run fast on you otherwise...

-I-

Totally concur with U!But when I was installing that PC I didn't have my ultra slim nLited Win2k.

Btw. The machine has 198RAM not 512MB RAM. And the machine is not main. It's from a friend who asked me if I got set up the software and s***

in that case, there is always services.msc

darn im getting goose bumbs from as mutch as thinkin about the nightmare of tweaking win2k the old way LOL....

Btw. The machine has 198RAM not 512MB RAM
sorry i should have been more clear about it, because my remark in the 512mem was not pointed toward you, but a remark about the folowing quote:
The one thing to make a computer faster is to add physical memory (RAM), and conversely, a slow machine ....... is almost always slow due to a lack of RAM.

The 350MHz processor doesn't help, But the RAM is where the real bottleneck is. A PII 350MHz machine with 512MB of RAM can run Windows 2000 quite fast - ........

i must admid it sounded realy great, but this story should have told you if your where having these problems with a 1ghz pIII or seleron, and 96mb mb ram... (since you have twice that amouth, its actualy quite suficient. (if the os was tweaked properly)...

just have one tip: Never ever, think about firering up the cpu, (i mean it), dont you dare - or ill garantee you a blow up...

ive done it about 30 times allready, of witch 7 molted within 2months, and the all died within a year.. -

and dont say i dont know anything about clocking because my k7 tunderbird 800 is running stable at 1.7ghz for almost 22months now... at just over 60*c for about 4hours a day.

Edited by -I-