How to change the CD icon that appears for a CD

cumminbk

I would like to change the icon that is shown by my office 2003 CD currently the only icon for office 2002 appears when the 2003 cd is in the drive. It shows up correctly in virtual pc just not on my real pc. I can i change this and also how can i have a custom icon appear for the CD when i place a CD in the drive rather than a simple icon of a CD? any ideas? edit desktop.ini somehow? suggestions please.

1: Get Resource Hacker

%Systemdrive% = The Hardrive or Partition Windows Is installed On

A: Make A Folder On Called %Systemdrive%\Shell\CustomShell

2: Place Resource Hacker In %Systemdrive%\Shell\CustomShell

3: Copy Shell32.dll from %Systemdrive%\Windows\System32\

4: Open Resource Hacker And From Resource Hacker

A: Hightlight File Then Select Open Abd Then Navigate To %Systemdrive%\Shell\CustomShell\Shell32.dll

5: Expand The Icon Group Folder And Then Expand Icon Group Folder 12

6: With Icon Group Folder 12 Expand Highlight 1033 And Right Click And Select Replace Resource

Select Open With New Icon Button That Will OpenA Brow for File Dialog Will Open Now Navigate To

The New Icon, Select The New Icon

7: Now High Light The Open Tab And Save The File

Guys, I think his question is being misinterpreted. His question is, say you put one CD in and your CD icon comes up, then you change the CD. However, the new icon for the new CD does not show up. The old CD's icon remains.

I've has similar issues when switching CDs. The icon remains stuck.

I think your only option is to reboot. The icon will reset itself. Other than that, refresh does not refresh the icon.

Maybe someone else has a clue.

autorun.inf

change, the line that says "icon=...."

Guys, I think his question is being misinterpreted. His question is, say you put one CD in and your CD icon comes up, then you change the CD. However, the new icon for the new CD does not show up. The old CD's icon remains.

I've has similar issues when switching CDs. The icon remains stuck.

Is the Shell Hardware Detection service running? Unless it is, Windows won't be able to "detect" changes in your hardware, such as a new or removed CD.