Video Acting Up

BombaTwist

yesterday i played counter-strike 1.6 and was very stable at 100 fps. then i stayed overnight at a friends house in L.A. then i came back home today and played cs, then my fps went jumpy, it kept going from 30 to 70 back and forth. this concerns me because it is a new computer i got like 1 month and 2 weeks ago. does anyone know how to fix this because i am clueless.

thanks.

edit: ive tried to restart, and shutdown too. didnt work. =/, also my video card is a ATi Radeon x300 HE

edit2: i also noticed a huge slowdown when browsing and multitasking, this never happened before, scanned for syware and viruses but none. =/.

edit3: aww realized i posted in the wrong section, sorry.

Edited by BombaTwist

i think my video card is overheating, i felt the card and it wasnt really hot, it was only warm. but then again im not sure because my cards only cooling is a heatsink and no fan on it. also, it goes as low as 1 fps when it jumps all over the place, cause my fps wont stay stable at a certain fps anymore =/.

i think my video card is overheating, i felt the card and it wasnt really hot, it was only warm. but then again im not sure

If it isn't really warm to the touch, then it isn't overheating. If it is so hot that you instantly have to take your finger off it as fast as you put it on, then it is overheating. A common sign of overheating on a video card is strange artifacts occurring (even outside of gaming, but mostly in). Sort of like when you play an old Nintendo game and you bump the cartridge and lots of blocky crap fills the screen... like that. :hello:

i think my video card is overheating, i felt the card and it wasnt really hot, it was only warm. but then again im not sure

If it isn't really warm to the touch, then it isn't overheating. If it is so hot that you instantly have to take your finger off it as fast as you put it on, then it is overheating. A common sign of overheating on a video card is strange artifacts occurring (even outside of gaming, but mostly in). Sort of like when you play an old Nintendo game and you bump the cartridge and lots of blocky crap fills the screen... like that. :hello:

oh ok i dont get that. so my video card is not overheating. i think its the "choke" thing i said because in starcraft, gunz, maple story, etc. my fps stays stable, its just those hl games like cs, and day-of-defeat i have problems with.