NT 4 Partions

Steve_2k

If you've got SP4 installed (or higher), you can boot off of a drive larger than 4GB. However, it must be NTFS, and you'll have to resize it using a third party tool like PartitionMagic. If the drive is NTFS, you can resize it to fit the whole drive via the third party tool, and it'll work.

I rarely let any OS partition go over 4GB. You should be able to fit all the progs etc into the partition.

Most of the data lives in a large partition outside the OS partition, and i often have different installs of the OS for emergency use (should Windows do something nasty).

Windows NT happily lives in a 2G partition without probs, you can put the paging file and the ie swap data on a different partition, if you want.

We

I rarely let any OS partition go over 4GB. You should be able to fit all the progs etc into the partition.

NT 4 is the only reason anyone could ever understand this statement. :blink:

Most of the data lives in a large partition outside the OS partition, and i often have different installs of the OS for emergency use (should Windows do something nasty).

Fdisk format reinstall, doo dah! DOO DAH! ;)

You should keep everything managed on a reliable OS anyway and to be even more specific: Completely OFF of the boot drive.

Windows NT happily lives in a 2G partition without probs, you can put the paging file and the ie swap data on a different partition, if you want.

With the stuff we can put NT4 on, we don't need paging files anymore. With the old crap like 66MHz boxes...NT4 could be challenged. :unsure:

I found this somewhere...

Pseudo slipstream in WinNT4

The slipstreaming of service packs is not available with WinNT4, as it was first introduced with Win2k. But it is still possible to do some tricks:

Update these files on the install-image with files from the service pack (SP4+), as it will enable AGP support, remove 8gb limitation etc.

atapi.sys

fastfat.sys

gdi32.dll

hal.dll

hal486c.dll

halapic.dll

halast.dll

halcbus.dll

halcbusm.dll

halmca.dll

halmps.dll

halmpsm.dll

halncr.dll

haloli.dll

halsp.dll

halwyse7.dll

kernel32.dll

ndis.sys

ntdll.dll

ntkrnlmp.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

SETUPDD.SYS

tcpcfg.dll

user32.dll

win32k.sys

winsrv.dll

Install the service pack unattended (SP4+)

Place the service-pack file in this directory:

X:\i386\$OEM$\SP4

Create a text file CMDLINES.TXT in this directory:

X:\i386\$OEM$

Open the text file CMDLINES.TXT and add these lines:

[Commands]

".\sp4\sp4i386.exe -z -u"

More Info MS KB Q168814

Make a shared directory with the original WinNT4 install files and extract the contents of the service pack to this directory. Then use the shared directory when adding components (after install), so you don't have to apply the service pack for every change.

That's great, but what if it's just going to be a single machine or the master computer(ew!)? I'm going to find a way to integrate the full service packs manually if I have to.