Which is better?

daz98

ive got $1000 and i want to buy the latest graphics card....which is better ...i dont care about the price the x1800xt or the 7800gtx

Thanxs

i heard there were problems with the geforce 7800 with screen glitches and such...have they fixed these and is the x1800 really worth it???

It's a toss-up between the X1800XT and the 256MB 7800GTX, but the recently released 512MB 7800GTX pretty much kills them both.

Read here: http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2607

The problem if you haven't figured it out by now is that the 512MB 7800GTX is a real power hog (A high-end power supply is recommended, no exceptions) and it'll cost you an arm and a leg for one.

yeh i dont understand...wats the difference between the sli and the normal one...which one is better because i was thinking the normal one was better on average with all the tests...and one other thing is it out yet???

does the sli mean you can put two of these cards together to make it one big powerful one...That would be bloody awsome except it would cost at least about $2000 australian which is like one trip to the states and back.

Edited by daz98

also with the power supply... what one would i need to buy to make this card awsome...you see im getting a pretty much whole new system and all i need is the graphics card and te power supply...at the moment i got a 300 wat one and that doesn't really help my 6600gt card so that is not going to even get close to getting the 7800gtx 512 working properly and one other thing would i need to upgrade to the best cooling system...Does the card get hot or is the heat fine and the power the only problem???

thanxs in advanced

also with the power supply... what one would i need to buy to make this card awsome...you see im getting a pretty much whole new system and all i need is the graphics card and te power supply...at the moment i got a 300 wat one and that doesn't really help my 6600gt card so that is not going to even get close to getting the 7800gtx 512 working properly and one other thing would i need to upgrade to the best cooling system...Does the card get hot or is the heat fine and the power the only problem???

thanxs in advanced

For the 512MB 7800GTX, Nvidia recommends at least a 400 watt power supply with 24A on the +12V rail, which another words means a high end power supply is necessary. No more cutting corners with cheapo $50 power supplies. I would recommend looking at the OCZ Powerstream 520W, Antec TruPowerII 550, Seasonic S12 600W, and whatever else that has Nividia's SLI certification on the box will be fine.

ok sweet i think ill go for one of the power supply's u mentioned. Anyway does it matter if you have a huge power supply that ur computer doesn't use all up on...because im getting the card but before i get the card im going to get the power supply and i wanna know if i have to much power and not as much resistance will it harm my computer. cause the card itself is like 400wats and add my other hardware which would make about 550watts so if i get a 600 wat thingy will that mean 50 wats will go to waste and harm the computer or will i just be there for extra. Because if it is there just for extra then ill get the 600watt one

thanxs

Edited by daz98