Unattended Installation of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

lamchowing

There is the way to install sliently, and it's work (in local or network machines)!

First time work:

1. Goto the Visual Studio 2005 Folder, I call it "VS2005" for easier explain

2. Goto "RUN", Enter "VS2005\setup\setup.exe /createunatted VS2005\setup\unattend.ini"

3. Now, follow the instructions in the Administrator Mode setup, and it will create the "unattend.ini" file

Now, everytime you wanted to install sliently:

1. Goto "RUN", Enter "VS2005\setup\setup.exe /unattedfile VS2005\setup\unattend.ini"

Got it?

In addition:

1. When you tried to perform the Administrator Mode setup, make sure that you are using "VS2005\setup\setup.exe" instead of "VS2005\setup.exe"

2. Also, you are required to using the same operating system when you are creating the unattend.ini file

3. When I was trying to put the Visual Studio 2005 into my Unattended Installation DVD, for some reason it come out with an error: "Line 1 of the INF file \i386\txtseup.sif is invalid. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

Please let me know if anyone able to solve this question, Thank you!

For the question above, I found out that the total memory size of the Unattend Installation DVD can't be be larger than 4.0GB. Otherwise, error will occur when Windows start inspecting your computer.

Also, can anyone found out the way to install the Visual Studio 2005 without reboot the computer autmaticlly?

Again, please let me know. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on this setup for weeks without good result, I tried all I got :)

I followed this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907759

But I can't make the installation without a reboot.

The installation start, the computer reboot without notice after 5 minutes and wait for the user to login to continue the setup. After that it goes well but can it be done without a reboot ??

I have to send this software by SMS so I can't wait for a user to login before the installation continues.

Thanks,

I've red on another forum that it's praticly impossible not to have a reboot in the installation process.

Here, on some machine it reboots on others it don't, can't figure ou what is causing this.

There's also a rumor that Microsoft is working on a hotfix to resolve this issue.

To be continued ... :lol:

I installed the .net framework 2.0 and the framework 2.0 SDK first.

Then I installed Visual Studio 2005; and it worked for me.

REG ADD %KEY%\029 /VE /D "Installing .NET Framework 2.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\029 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\DotNet_Framework_2.0\dotnet2.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Installing .NET Framework 2.0 SDK" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\DotNet_2.0_SDK\install.exe /Q" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /VE /D "Installing Visual Studio 2005" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\VS2005\Setup\setup.exe /unattendfile %systemdrive%\Install\VS2005\vs2005.ini" /f

Edited by rappinhood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

That's one thing I don't bother unattending. Only have so many VS2005 instances to install, and it's not like we have to reinstall it often or anything (haven't had to reinstall it even once since it's out of beta)

That, and every install is always followed with tons of other stuff (various framworks [EntLib, WSE, etc], several TDD-oriented apps [TD.NET, CC.NET, etc], N-Everything [NUnit, NAnt, NDoc, etc], CodeSmith & MyGeneration plus a couple ORMs, Jetbrains apps, visualizers, Consolas and a couple other fonts,

DB2 & Oracle "addins", a couple SCM tools, couple XML tools, a few nice components,

lots of in-house stuff [snippets, components, templates, etc], some extra web dev stuff [for asp.net apps], and usually tons of other dev stuff like RKs, SDKs, IIS tools, etc)

If anything, I'd rather install visual studio by hand, and have the rest of the stuff install unattended (and all the tweaks/customizations). That would save *FAR* more time (and it's way more tedious / error prone than installing VS too)

• 11 months later...

Something I found regarding VS2005.. when you slipstream SP1 into your install source there are several items which are not updated such as SQL Server 2005 and the PPC/WM device emulator. I have found that you can download these updated components from Microsoft and replace the old with the new. If I remember correctly, in the case of SQL, you need to rename the file you downloaded to match the older file. In the end this saves a fair amount of time and at least one reboot.

• 2 years later...

Hey,

i tried to install it as you described it but it does not work fine with Win 7.

I get an Error in the "dd_vserror80.txt" like:

[05/17/10,13:10:37] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x64): [2] Component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x64) returned an unexpected value.

[05/17/10,13:10:38] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InstallManagerHelper() with HRESULT -2147023293.

[05/17/10,13:10:38] setup.exe: [2] Component error string not specified in ISetupManager::AddToActionResultCollection()

Would you still help me (after 5 years)? :D

Greeny