Interesting Network layout. Need help w/ firewall ports

chucktx

We have a broadband connection here in the house. I have a small network of 3 to 4 computers that I have behind an XP sp2 machine running ICS. Anybody have any idea how I can get a port to run all the way back to me using UPnP? The router is a linksys router & it has UPnP enabled. I didn't want to have to program the port in to the router for one because if I need a change or want to use another port I would have to get the guy to do & second because that's waht UPnP is supposed to be for. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i'm assuming your setup is like this:

internet > xp sp2 pc > router > other pc's

for the shared connection in windows xp, right click the connection, go to "properties", and on the "advanced" tab, under "internet connection sharing" click "settings", from here you can setup ports to forward to the router, so as long as you know the router's ip just add the ports you need forwarded

e.g.

tick the "web server" option on the list, and then type in the ip of the router where it would probably say the windows xp sp2 computer's name.

for my network i have:

internet > router > smoothwall (firewall pc) > switch > my pc's

i simply have dmz setup on the router, pointing at the smoothwall, then from the smoothwall i have port forwarding for desired ports to whichever computer i need them to

• 2 weeks later...
i'm assuming your setup is like this:

internet > xp sp2 pc > router > other pc's

for the shared connection in windows xp, right click the connection, go to "properties", and on the "advanced" tab, under "internet connection sharing" click "settings", from here you can setup ports to forward to the router, so as long as you know the router's ip just add the ports you need forwarded

e.g.

tick the "web server" option on the list, and then type in the ip of the router where it would probably say the windows xp sp2 computer's name.

for my network i have:

internet > router > smoothwall (firewall pc) > switch > my pc's

i simply have dmz setup on the router, pointing at the smoothwall, then from the smoothwall i have port forwarding for desired ports to whichever computer i need them to

Does this affect your speed much? I have cable with 5000 downstream and just under 400 upstream. Thans in advance for the help :)