Can I reinstall Windows ME system files

Skye

This is my first post to this forum; I have multiple questions regarding

Windows ME.

A computer with Windows ME OS was given to me. It was previously a second

computer to a home network. I want a stand alone platform and would

like to know if and how I can re-configure the network configuration settings.

I use a dial-up connection and at present, I cannot connect to the

internet; receive error 691 message (the computer you are dialing into

cannot establish a Dial-Up networking connection. Check password and

try again).

I think the registry has been tampered with and is messed up. Is there

a system backup that I could run that would restore missing files and settings?

Will it reset the registry?

Alternatively, if I purchase a Windows ME software program, can I start

from scratch and re-install the whole thing without losing data?

Another problem is the resolution settings. It is set to the lowest

setting(640x480) and when I try to change it to 800x600, it won't do it.

It's quite possible this machine has a worm/virus. It's been sitting

idle for about a year so there are no doubt various upgrades required.

Is there hope for ths computer?

Any help in getting this thing up and running would be greatly

appreciated! Thanks.

Just Depends on the specifications of the computer. It would help if you knew what type of computer it is, like Intel or amd and how much rams are there. If you get a new virsion you would probly wipe out the entire system, if you don't know what you are doing. I recomend backing up your data first before trying anything though.

What are you trying to back up?

It's an IBM with Intel Pentium III -- I don't know enough about operating systems to tell you anything else. Guess I should put it in the shop??

The things I want to back up contain word perfect documents, music and pictures.

There are just so many questions I have about this computer... it would take forever to list them all, but the one basic question I have is -- what should the network configurations be so that I don't get the error message about "....the computer I'm dialing into doesn't recognize me . . . "; and so that I can make this computer forget about networking and be a stand alone computer and dial up my ISP and connect me to the internet?

I know that everyone out there is familiar with the term "frustration" when it comes to computer problems, so please forgive me if I seem frustrated.

As it is, I currently only have access to a computer while at work (because my laptop has modem problems so IT won't connect to the internet either!)

My other option at home is an old webtv, but it won't let me post in this forum. Did I mention my frustration with this whole scenario?

Thanks for any help you can offer with regards to the networking config. - what boxes need to be checked, which ones don't, etc. If it's easier maybe someone could point me to a website with that info.

After I get the modem problem taken care of in the laptop, I will have more opportunity for discussing my Windows ME problem.

For tonight, I'm off work now and I'll be leaving here, so even though I'll be able to read forum posts on my webbie, I won't be able to respond until tomorrow!! :wacko:

Registry backups (5 by default) should be in C:\Windows\sysbackup (but shouldn't be able to solve your particular problems)

The full setup files should be in C:\Windows\options \install. You should be able to run setup from there either from within Windows or from DOS.

You can run setup to reinstall Windows on top of itself as to try to repair it or you can do a fresh install in another directory.

Unless you do a fresh install, you'll have to do the following :

As the machine was on a LAN and now it's not anymore, you must modify your networking settings : remove everything and reinstall only the networking components you need from the "Add-Remove programs/Windows Setup" and "Network" control panel applets. It may also be necessary to run the Internet Explorer connection wizzard under "Connections/Setup" in the "Internet Options" control panel applet. Also look at your LAN settings in the same page and applet and select autodetect and no proxy.

For your display, get to know what your graphic card is and install drivers for it after having eventually removed the old ones.

This should help you get sorted.

Edited by eidenk

Thank you so much for your reply eidenk -- I will definitelyl give this a try -- but first, I guess I'd better get my XP problem straightened out. Apparently, I need to backup all my files and re-install XP.... which is fine, except I bought a box of DVD RW disks ( and they guy at Best Buy said they would work!), which I am now reading on the microsoft website, that XP does not work with the DVD RWs! ... and by golly, they're right... my computer keeps saying to put a disk in drive E, when the bloody thing is already in there! what a royal pain!

did you ever wonder --- where will it all end --- so many computers, so many bugs, worms, viruses, problems, and no visible means of support from those that sell us these devices .... at least not unless you pay them --- there they stand, with their hands out - again! I didn't see the "WARNING" label on my computer when I bought it that said I would need to learn a new language, decipher various previously unheard of acronyms and spend good money after bad trying to keep the thing in working order ---- did you??? :hello:

Thanks for letting me vent a bit!