Hello My first Question

jiminal

I am running Windows 98 SE and suspect there are some alien programs running. One I cnnot kill or remove because the system says Windows is using it is mjcakshp.exe. Does anyone know what this program is supposed to do?

Googled the exe, found absolutely nothing. I highly doubt that's a windows program, in fact, im 100% sure its not, and I'm about 30% sure it's something you should worry about. Go to trendmicro.com and do a virus scan, or scan your computer with adaware.

I wasn't gonna say anthing, but mjcakshp.... I've interpretted that for some reason as mj cak shp or marijuana cake shop.lol maybe it's just me...

That's the pure joy of using Windows 98......If you know what a file name is, you have several ways to get rid of it.

1. Do a find for it (in windows). Once found, try renaming it from an .exe file to something like .bad

2. Once you know where it lives (what folder), you can always boot up with a DOS boot disk, (if you dont' have one, SHAME ON YOU!) and go into the folder and either rename the file or just delete it.

I just love working on a 98 machine, because I can do absolutely Anything I want to with it. It's not like XP, where the operator and even the tech is locked out of everything.

Long Live 98!

I am running Windows 98 SE and suspect there are some alien programs running. One I cnnot kill or remove because the system says Windows is using it is mjcakshp.exe. Does anyone know what this program is supposed to do?

The answer to the question of whether it is a "windows program" depends on

what you mean - it's definitely not part of any normal Windows installation.

It might be a virus or piece of spyware, but it may as well be part of some

poorly written application. That is very common, unfortunately. A problem

that seems to affect Windows to a much greater degree than other operating

systems is that most software suppliers, all the way from the Symantecs and

Adobes to anonymous free-time programmers, appear to think that

their software is so critical and so important that it must be part of the

Windows startup procedure, and must be running 24/7.

It might be worthwhile to check whether that is the case with the program

in question, by searching for it using REGEDIT, and take a look in the

Start Menu > Programs > Startup folder as well.

That's the pure joy of using Windows 98......If you know what a file name is, you have several ways to get rid of it.

1. Do a find for it (in windows). Once found, try renaming it from an .exe file to something like .bad

2. Once you know where it lives (what folder), you can always boot up with a DOS boot disk, (if you dont' have one, SHAME ON YOU!) and go into the folder and either rename the file or just delete it.

While it's always a good idea to have a few boot disks with useful utilities

at hand, unless you have a boot sector virus, holding down Shift (or is it Ctrl?)

as the system boots will probably suffice, for the purpose under discussion.

I just love working on a 98 machine, because I can do absolutely Anything I want to with it. It's not like XP, where the operator and even the tech is locked out of everything.

I imagine that a bootable Linux CD with NTFS support would come in very

handy.

I highly doubt you can just delete it. I'm quite sure it's a trojan/virus/worm etc. that randomly generates a name, hence you cannot find any information on it. You can't delete it because another process created by the program monitors if you deleted its startup entries in the registry or the file and replaces it once you delete it.