Somebody had to warn them ?...or not!

Mercury_22

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - An exclusive California beach enclave has raised eyebrows by passing out tsunami safety brochures that warn residents, in capital letters, that they should never try to surf one.

The pamphlets, part of an emergency preparedness campaign, inform residents of Malibu that tsunamis often follow large earthquakes and advise: "NEVER GO TO THE BEACH TO WATCH FOR, OR SURF, A TSUNAMI WAVE!" :blink:

Edited by Mercury 22

"I'm speechless," Malibu surfer Candace Brown told the Los Angeles Times. "I think the last thing people will think about when they feel an earthquake is surfing."

Uhhh, let's see. If you 'feel' and earthquake, then you must be standing on earth, not floating in water. If you feel an earthquake, then I doubt you would have the time to grab your board, wax it, put your swimming togs on and drive/run to the sea in time to catch the gnarly wave coming in, but then again, maybe it will meet you half way there and then you will have your opportunity to catch the big one!

The tsunami someone might want to catch would have it's origins in some other place. How to determine what size the tsunami is going to be and how it is going to behave would be the fun part. Could you imagine paddling out a half mile to catch the wave, feel yourself being towed out to sea another half mile or more, feel the water under you start to change angle and rise and rise and rise, quickly get to a standing position to ride the wave, feel the wave going vertical and spend the next 2-3 seconds plummeting straight down onto sand, rocks, shells, etc...(unless you are in Hawaii and all you have to contend with is some soft coral) only to have the wave smeeeeaaaaar you along the bottom. YeeeHaaaaa, I'm for that!

DL