Permission to write a file

Hi,

I'm using IIS, PHP & MySQL on a windows server.

Every now & then I try some already written free scripts, which have their own installations, but I always get an error telling me the installation does not have permission to write a file, & I should use chmod.

Isn't chmod for linux/unix systems? even if I try to use it, it still doesn't work...

what should I do?

Actually I had an Apache server, until I decided to try the IIS (and got this problem)...

I know how to instal it, so I'll try it out...

but I'm still curious, isn't there a way to solve this out?

chmod is just the permissions of the file/directory. chmod 777 would be writable by anyone. i forget the meanings of the different chmods, but you can find those on the web somewhere. you can still use iis, but just know when it says chmod 777 or something, set the equal permissions in windows on that file/directory. it will work the same.

chmod is just the permissions of the file/directory. chmod 777 would be writable by anyone. i forget the meanings of the different chmods, but you can find those on the web somewhere. you can still use iis, but just know when it says chmod 777 or something, set the equal permissions in windows on that file/directory. it will work the same.

I have an IIS server, & tried using CHMOD with no differences made to the file...

i don't think you understood.

chmod 777 on a *nix system means that that particular file is set for everyone to have full access. so you have to translate chmod 777 to the windows equivalent and set those permissions on the file/folder.

for instance, if you were instructed to chmod 777 index.html, then in windows, you would right click on index.html and go to the permissions section. then you would give the everyone group full access to the file.

here is a link to a site that will help you understand chmod and then using the examples you can figure out the windows equivalent permissions for the different chmods. http://catcode.com/teachmod/index.html

chmod isn't hard to understand...it's just the octal representation of the binary string representing the digits...

d rwx rwx rwx

first group of rwx is the owner

second is the group

third group is for guests

d determines if it's a directory..

But back to topic....you're dealing with windows folder permissions. This could be result of the server is trying to write a file to a protected folder, the folder was created by another user (if you have shared folders off) or the server is running with limited rights. I forget how exactly to solve this problem, but coming form the fact that Apache didn't have the problem, i would guess the IIS server might be running with User rights and not Admin rights.

Typically, on a unix system, the server runs as a global user, and then each session of PHP and other lanuages are run under different credentials. SOme Unix servers though forget that little thing, and give anyone with remote access to the server with a directory listing php program access to the whole system.