Changing CDshell boot image

jenanay

did you include all the parameters? here is what the guide contains... double-check that you included the filename and '-bmp2csi'

convert -bmp2csi -o splash.csi logo.bmp

Parameters Explained

What this does is run the convert.exe program with the following options:

-bmp2csi

Says we are converting a bmp file to a csi file.

-o splash.csi

Says to call the new file splash.csi

logo.bmp

Name of our 640x480 bmp file to convert.

Ok its working now, i did the whole thing over again, and it worked. Now i am having problem with date and time showing up right. I am using this piece of code in my cdshell.

boot:

cls

print "\n"

print "Press Enter to boot from DVD... \n"

getkey 5 boot 0x80

if $lastKey == key[enter]; then goto time

# When no key found...

goto boot

# Function to display time of day

time:

set hour = $timeHour

set ampm = "am"

if $timeHour > 12; then set hour = $timeHour - 12

if $timeHour > 12; then set ampm = "pm"

set time = "$hour:$timeMinute$ampm"

# Function to display date

date:

set month = "n/a"

if $dateMonth == 1; then set month = "Jan."

if $dateMonth == 2; then set month = "Feb."

if $dateMonth == 3; then set month = "Mar."

if $dateMonth == 4; then set month = "Apr."

if $dateMonth == 5; then set month = "May."

if $dateMonth == 6; then set month = "Jun."

if $dateMonth == 7; then set month = "Jul."

if $dateMonth == 8; then set month = "Aug."

if $dateMonth == 9; then set month = "Sep."

if $dateMonth == 10; then set month = "Oct."

if $dateMonth == 11; then set month = "Nov."

if $dateMonth == 12; then set month = "Dec."

set date = "$month$dateDay,$dateYear"

the date seems to work but only shows 23, 2005

the time looks like this in the right corner

10:$timeMinutepm$month

Ya, I had this prob. The issue resides in the set time = "$hour:$timeMinute$ampm" area. The prob is because the system doesn't know that the $ampm is a new command so it doesn't use it. What you should do is either put a space between the $timeMinute$ampm so it looks like $timeMinute $ampm, or use a non-printing character like a /. Mine looks like this: set time = "$hour:$timeMinute\$ampm"

Same goes for the set date = "$month $dateDay,$dateYear" area.

Finally, in the area that says:

print c "\n\cXXÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ<\c0B$time $date\cXX>ÄÄ \n\n"

I don't remember if it has a space where it has the $time $date thing but if it doesn't, add one. This'll fix the issue. Now, you might have a little dash above the title of your boot thing. If you do have one, add an extra /n and the end of the line which prints out the time and date. Or just copy what I got above. This'll clear it up. Post what happens dude.

BTW, the above code will look wierd, just replace what looks like a bunch of numbers to what you got in ur cdshell file.

Edited by m3n70r

Thank you!! Works fine now, thats all it was was the spaces. Thank God for this forum!

Ok I have another question (Im full of them hehe)

I have got XP, Server 2003, Adv Server 2000. and ERD Commander added to my cd as of now and seems to be working just fine. But now I am adding Win98 SE and I guess Im lost. Im to this point in flyakites instructions but I dont really understand it. Here is what he says.

Alrighty then. Pick a file at the root of your CD. I chose WIN51 as my CD also has Windows XP on it. If you had a CD.TXT file you could use that. Or you could create your own, so that each disk is unique like AIO1.txt if you have different version of the disk.

Click over to the text side of the window. just after the %c: type \WIN51 and substitute WIN51 with your file, and be sure to include the file extension if there is one. Win51 doesn't have one, so I didn't. Also make sure that it's in ALL CAPS. I don't know if it really matters, but better safe then sorry

I dont really understand what file I am supposed to be using here at all.

Help!?

Thanks again,

Jen

yeah, thats kinda confusing... well if you want to add windows 98, download the boot image file (98SE.zip) from his guide and edit the autoexec.bat file as follows (just delete everything already there and copy/paste this info in there)...

@ECHO OFF

set EXPAND=YES

SET DIRCMD=/O:N

cls

set temp=c:\

set tmp=c:\

path=a:\

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT

LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:oemcd001 /L:D

echo.

IF "%config%"=="SETUP_CD" goto AUTOSETUP

GOTO QUIT

:AUTOSETUP

set CDROM=FOO23

FINDCD.EXE

if "%CDROM%"=="FOO23" goto NOCDROM

path=a:\;%CDROM%\

%CDROM%

cd \WIN98\WIN98

echo.

OEMSETUP.EXE /K "/IE /NF"

goto QUIT

:NOCDROM

echo.

echo The Windows 98 Setup files were not found.

echo.

:QUIT

save it. and download the findcd.zip file attached to this post and inject both the edited autoexec.bat file and the findcd.exe file back into the 98SE.IMA file (you will need to download winimage to do this)...

Put the 98SE.IMA file in the root of your directory and also create a folder called WIN98 (create it in the root). copy the entire windows 98 cd to this folder.

Lastly, edit the cdshell.ini file to show windows 98 (something like this ...

if $lastKey == key[1]; then memdisk /98SE.IMA)

Let me know how that works.

findcd.zip

Well, it's pretty self-explanatory. You need to download the FINDCD.EXE file from his site. Open the file up in a Hex editor. From there it tells you to find where it says %c:\WIN98\SETUP.EXE. Click on the \ in %c:\ and this'll highlight some HEX lettering. Click on the hex numbers and start typing in zeroes. When you're done the part where there was %c:\WIN98\SETUP.EXE should now look like "%c:..............." w/o the quotes. Now, to simplify things, just put type in \WIN51 so it looks like %c:\WIN51 And that's it.

did you include all the parameters? here is what the guide contains... double-check that you included the filename and '-bmp2csi'

convert -bmp2csi -o splash.csi logo.bmp

Parameters Explained

What this does is run the convert.exe program with the following options:

-bmp2csi

Says we are converting a bmp file to a csi file.

-o splash.csi

Says to call the new file splash.csi

logo.bmp

Name of our 640x480 bmp file to convert.

Yeah, it doesnt work, I typed everything verbatim in the guide...