Signatures!

Gouki

Why were the signatures deleted?

If you want them to be at max 4 lines, ok, but there is no need to delete them.

It would be much easyer just let the users edit them, in case they didnt, then you could delete them!

This sucked ... :blink:

Why were the signatures deleted?

If you want them to be at max 4 lines, ok, but there is no need to delete them.

It would be much easyer just let the users edit them, in case they didnt, then you could delete them!

This sucked ... :blink:

To be honest, there really is NO reason to let a user edit it themselves. It's clearly stated in the forum rules the regulations on signatures.

Lol. @ prathapml

@ Alanoll - Well, than maybe, instead of letting the users add them so Mods can delete them later, why not edit the configuration of the board to not allow the input of x carachters?

Thats possible, but useless!

For example, one person could use 100 characters to make up 2 lines. Or to make 50 lines. :P

Or, he can circumvent it altogether, by using images instead.

There's no absolute limit, its a rule to be followed in spirit, not in harsh words.

Yes, I noticed today that someone had removed my signature. Apparently it didn't comply with some size rule that must have been added very recently since it's been that length for quite some time now. What I found particularly annoying was that no attempt was made to contact me regarding this problem. As I recall my signature was maybe 5 or 6 lines of small-font plain text, and useful at that (describing my computer so that I need not repeat its specifications every time someone asks). The last edit to the rules thread was on September 18th, and the last post in that forum was on October 2nd. Assuming the rule was added on the 18th (which it must have been because I certainly don't recall seeing it when I joined), that means the only way someone could have known about this addition is either by actively checking for updates (does anyone do this?) or by just happening to see it as they scroll through the forum listing during that 14-day window.

In short, when a rule regarding signature lengths is added (or at least very poorly documented) and given almost no announcement, and signatures which are barely over the limit and contain useful information are removed without warning... that's very annoying. <_< (Fun fact: 90% of forums are very loose on signature size rules to begin with.)

[edit] Come to think of it...

If your avatar or signature goes above these guidelines they will be taken off and the member contacted via PM.

Either your PM system is broken, or someone's going against their own rules. ;)

And as long as these rules are going to be enforced to the letter, wouldn't it make sense to have them listed in the signature editor?

Edited by HyperHacker

Apparently it didn't comply with some size rule that must have been added very recently since it's been that length for quite some time now. What I found particularly annoying was that no attempt was made to contact me regarding this problem.

The current rule has been in place for well over 4 months now. And it's not like we're patrolling for Signatures, most of the ones we remove are ones that are overly accessive or are reported.

The simple fact that you didn't read it is your fault.

I'm curious about my signature, is it allowed?

If not, please let me know ;)

Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb. :)

@HyperHacker i understand its annoying that we remove the sigs.... but look at it like this... we see like 5-6 sigs per day and believe me i am already tired of writing down the name first and then get a lot of s*** on me that they don't want to remove it etc. So personally i just remove them now without notice, people should read the rules... if you read the rules your eye will directly catch the signature rules because they are highlighted in red....

hope you understand.

Martin

Forum rules updated today.

5. Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb. Flash and animated sigs are not permitted. You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image. Advertising and/or affiliates are not allowed in signatures nor avatars. Avatars are to be a maximum of 100x100 pixels. If your avatar or signature goes above these guidelines they will be taken off without notice. Any signatures found to be attached to a thread and used as a signature host is not allowed on MSFN and will be removed. Members with slow connection can disable other members signatures when reading posts by going to: My Control - Options - Board Settings.

This has been changed:

If your avatar or signature goes above these guidelines they will be taken off without notice.

Closed