upgrade my computer

hbinded

Hi y'all! I recently busted my friend's motherboard and had to give him mine (including the CPU), which pretty much leaves me in a funny situation; a PC without a motherboard, but with all the other hardware! So I've been thinking of making "the Big change" into AMD from Intel, but I don't know what board and/or CPU's are ok. Please give me some advice on what MoBo & Processor I can buy. It should not be very expensive, as I'm a student. I would also like to get a good PCI-Express card. Please note that I will be mainly getting the stuff online.

Maybe I should list some expectations:

should have at least 3 slots for RAM

Have support for PCI-e (Also need advice on that!)

and finally RAID support.

One final question, does Newegg ship to germany?

Thanks in advance

And whats the budget?

Anyways, a minimum platform today, would consist of:

MoBo = MSI RS480M2-IL (based on ATi chipset & decent integrated graphics - you can upgrade later with a PCI-express gfx card; and this mobo satisfies all the other expectations too)

Proc = AMD Athlon64 3400+

I believe newegg does ship to germany.

Agree with above poster....how much are you willing to spend and AMD is definitely the right choice.

There is also another thread in this very forum a few threads below talking about the best socket 939 mobos that are available that you can check out. Hope that helps. Sorry for the dbl post!

prathapml-he wont want a 3400 b/c the core would suck

get a venice 3200 with a dfi nf4 ultra-d, this will be an excellent combo. now what about your ram, if it is ddrII then your out of luck b/c amd only supports ddr.

as far as i know newegg doesnt ship to germany since they dont even ship to canada, but they may be shipping to canada sometime soon

Edited by ripken204

And whats the budget?

I'm willing to spend upto 500 Euros, thats about 600 Dollars. btw, the link you placed there gives a "no results search on some search engine", but a search on google gave me the named motherboard, it's exactly what I wanted. The only thing is: how good can I overclock it? ooh, ok, let me read some reviews first and see if I answer that question.

And could you also help me out with a selecting a Grapic card for this motherboard? I've been juggling between MSI's Geforce 6600, 256MB DDR and ATI's Sapphire Radeon X550 256 MB DDR. Which one is better or is there a better card than these two (in the same price class)? Oh, and one more thing, I once saw thig dude who had a PSU that had some PCI-e power supply.......(sounds goofy though!) How is that possible? the 2 cards I've mentioned above dont require some external power supply.

p.s. found this CPU, is it ok? I've been an intel guy all the time :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...12476%26fvi%3D1

Edited by hbinded

I would highly recommend this CPU if you want the most of your money:

http://www.tritechcoa.com/product/562343.html

Yes, that is a server CPU, but don't be fooled by the name and core speed; that's an Athlon64 San Diego in disguise. If you want to overclock, I would get this. Considering it's for servers, it'll tolerate high overclocking and 24/7 operation a lot better. I've seen some of these overclocked as high as 2.9-3 GHz with air cooling.

Edited by Thai3g_Eclipse

so what you need is a mobo,cpu, and gfx? DO U NEED ANY RAM?

mobo:dfi nf4 ultra-d 128$

cpu:opteron 144 -this is very sweet, overclocks like crazy 155$

gfx:sapphire x850xl 329$

these are prices here in the US

Edited by ripken204

so what you need is a mobo,cpu, and gfx? DO U NEED ANY RAM?

mobo:dfi nf4 ultra-d 128$

cpu:opteron 144 -this is very sweet, overclocks like crazy 155$

gfx:sapphire x850xl 329$

these are prices here in the US

I already have 4 sticks of DDR400 RAM of 512 MB each, But I want to get four sticks with 1 GB each. any recommendations?

What do you think of this gfx card? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...%2509%26fvi%3D1

I'm kinda on a tight budget here, you know................. :P:P

p.s. I like the CPU you've recommended! it has some impressive values of overclocking! I have just got on from ebay.de Hope that by 1.11 I will have finished my "project"

Thanks!