trouble with Scan Disk

John O

I've tried to use the Scan Disk as I believe there are errors. The trouble I have in scanning is it keeps trying to do it then stops and starts over. I suspect this is due to screen saver or some other program. I don't know how to disable screen saver, a simple task. I am not a trained cmputer person!

In my experience you can't do scandisk properly on the system drive in normal mode. Reboot into safe mode and then do scandisk. Don't do anything else at all with your OS during scandisk. It should work. If it doesn't, boot into DOS and do scandisk from there (just type "scandisk C" or simply "scandisk" at the prompt). It will work for sure but won't correct long filenames errors if any.

Repeatedly press F8 during boot until the boot menu appears to choose safe mode or command prompt (DOS).

Edited by eidenk

I was able to get the computer in safe mode and start the scan, but the screen saver still comes on and stops the scan so it has to start all over again. Is there a way to disable the screen saver? Thanks.

Me too I am perplexed. Make sure you click on "Apply" or "OK" after selecting none for if you simply close the window through clicking the close button on the title bar, it will behave as if you click on "Cancel".

Edited by eidenk

Scandisk and Defrag are Two programs that want full access to the hard drive with NO other program trying to access it.

ALWAYS, shut down all running programs before running those two programs.

And DO a defrag at least once a week to keep your hard drive running smoothly.

If you want a nice, simple little program to help you keep your hard drive clean of junk,

download Hoover.bat Here.

Save it to your desktop and run it once a week before you do your Defrag.

Your computer will love you for it. :thumbup

Andromeda43 ;)

Even some Firewalls that embed themselves into/underneath windows will F-up scandisk or defrag as well. A browser connected to a site that enforces periodic page refreshes, etc.

Don't think I've ever used a Screensaver, besides playing around with GRC's Wizmo, there was some app online that would enable that as a screensaver.