What's the differences?

tltan86

I not sure whether if I'm posting at the right place. ~ :huh:

Hope I didn't cause any inconvenience.

I was wondering what's the differences and purposes between this two formats, .bin & .iso. I only notice that it's like zipping all files into one file.

Is burning the images into a CD = Extracting all files out first and then burn them into a CD?

Sorry that it might sounds newbie but I'm curious about it. Thanks! :lol:

.iso and .bin are essentially one in the same when it comes to the type of format. They are just two different adopted standards, much like any other out there today. They both contain an 'image' of a program/game/app etc... Your comment about burning... Yes. They are both capable of being burned to a CD and they are both capable of being extracted like a .zip without burning them using apps such as WinISO and IsoBuster etc... hope I gave you some insight.

ISO and BIN files are 'compressed' differently much the same as ZIP and RAR files are compressed differently... BIN files usually come with a CueSheet which tells the burning program what section to burn onto the CD or something like that... I'm tired, so blah! :P

BIN files annoy the crap out of me. If you're an archiver or you just like distributing large amounts of information over the LAN, you usually want just one package to look for. I don't like the whole BIN/CUE thing because they're two files. ISO FTW! :lol:

The way I see it, ISOs are a more popular form of distribution anyway. You don't see Linux sites offering distros in a BIN/CUE mess. ;)

Edited by Daemonforce

A BIN file contains the data of each sector plus the error correcting codes that are attached to each sector.

An ISO contains only the data of the sectors.

When an ISO is burned the ECC is recalculated and added to the CD.

Because the ECC is included in a BIN it is possible to verify the integrity. That is not possible with an ISO. The decision on which format to use should be based on the likelihood of it being corrupted.