Ata33 And Ata133 On One Cable..

This is my 2nd raid board, I buy raid b/c I have 3 hard drives and one cd rom, and I want all my drives to run at full speed and I still want to be able to add more w/ buying them crappy cards..

I concur with Experties on the diminished speed on your faster drives.Actually all three will run at the slowest HD transfer rate.The add on card which will allow you to run all 3 may be the way to go TH.If you connect a cdrom off of any ribbon cable it will further decrease your performance.

madmax, 3AM atm.. :)

zipp, since I have the RAID enabled and have each device on a cable nothing is slowing anything down. Correct? Only the ATA33 HD and the CD-Rom are on the same cable...

I'm a bit confused TH.Are your 3 hard drives operating as one?I was refering to a non raid setup with 3 HDD's.If you are using Raid,are you striping(raid 0)or mirroring(raid 1) or both (Raid 0+1)?If you are using raid 0 which is for performance then you need 2 or 4 hard drives.This is called Raid 0+1 when using 4 HDD's.This is the fast perfomance setup.You are not backing up anything and your drives act as one.The disk capacity in a raid 1 mirroring array will only be as big as the smallest hard drive.The disk capacity in a raid 0 array will be equal to the smallest capacity times the # of drives. The perfomance of a mirroring array can only go twice as fast as the slowest drive.So all in all your capacity will be about half of your largest drive and you can only transfer data at ATA66 speeds.You can't use 3 drives for a Raid 0 array.This info is in my mobo manuals and from an article I had downloaded.