[Discontinued] AutoRIS V2.10

Its gotta be said " you are da man " :thumbup

I have spent the last couple of days mucking with AutoRIS v2 and some of your MSI installers. You have seriously saved me so much time and made it easy to get up to speed on using RIS for custom UA's I just dont know how to thank you. If there is something I can do to repay all your hard work please let me know.

I havent tested on a real pc yet, just VMware, but will do so in the next day or so. I have learnt a bit about VB (thanks again) so edited your scripts to do what I wanted em to do and it works like a charm. Great idea to use VBS btw :)

I dont have the permissions problem with restarting the Win2K3 BINLSVC so haven't tested the PSService method yet - will do and let you know how it works.

Keep up the great work

*cough* STICKY!!! *cough*

:whistle:

If there is something I can do to repay all your hard work please let me know.

Some day or another I'll probably get a PayPal donation thingy set up. I've just been too caught up in other things and I never really planned on making anything out of all this anyway. If you wanted to make a small donation to the SPCA, Humane Society, etc. I'm not sure what organizations of that type they have in the UK. That would be fantastic though :)

I'll be putting out V2.01 shortly. I've spent the last two weeks pretty much doing nothing but working on my post install scripts and at this point they're starting to look shiny. Also, there will be a few updated NIC drivers, including experimental support for nForce NICs.

If you wanted to make a small donation to the SPCA, Humane Society, etc. I'm not sure what organizations of that type they have in the UK. That would be fantastic though :)

I'm already a member of both the New Zealand SPCA and also Greenpeace, but will keep an eye out for the PayPal donation button on your website :)

The PSService implementation works great, tested it 4 times, on one of the times my remote boot PC would not boot (until I restarted the service manually) as it timed out waiting for DHCP, not sure why this was as PSService did restart the service successfully :unsure:... not all that worried about it.

Looking forward to new scripts to pull apart and learn - if you have some handy, can you recommend any VBS resources?

Thanks

I'm already a member of both the New Zealand SPCA and also Greenpeace
I wish people here in the states paid as much respect to organizations like those.
The PSService implementation works great, tested it 4 times, on one of the times my remote boot PC would not boot (until I restarted the service manually) as it timed out waiting for DHCP, not sure why this was as PSService did restart the service successfully :unsure:... not all that worried about it.
It's not uncommon to have to try booting a remote machine twice and restarting the BINL service. I even put in an artificial pause of 30 seconds after the service restart to try and avoid such situations. I usually don't have to boot twice anymore, but I do have to wait an inordinate amount of time before the VM will DHCP.
Looking forward to new scripts to pull apart and learn - if you have some handy, can you recommend any VBS resources?
Microsoft TechNet Script Center - This has a lot of good examples and tutorials.

VBscripting.com - An excellent site, but it can be hard to find what you're looking for sometimes.

Code Comments - This has to be the mecca of programming web sites. Unfortunately I get a "Server too Busy" message more than 50% of the time. If they would appropriately boost server capacity, it would be an amazing resource.

Win32 Scripting - Some of the examples in their repository are simply mind blowing. They are incredibly useful, but at the same time they also make you want to hang it up because you know you'll never reach the point where your entire thought process is in binary... or whatever it would take to come up with some of the Rube Goldberg like creations they have.

Well Judge, you indeed were on to something. It seems that I introduced a bug in version 2.00, where WMI stops the BINL service, but does not start it back up again :realmad: The PsService method does not suffer from this (thank God).

I'll try to get Version 2.01 up by the weekend.

V2.10 - 04/07/2006

- As it turns out, I didn't inroduce a bug with the WMI method of BINL service restarting. It does seem that PsService is the more reliable method. I really don't know what method PsService is using to do it's thing, but it must not be WMI.

- All NIC drivers have been updated.

- Experimental support for nVidia nForce NICs has been added. Since I don't have any such hardware, I can't do any testing of this myself. As always, your feedback is welcome.

- The cmdlines and RunOnceEx script have continued to undergo extensive updating. For a complete description and documentation of the scripts please visit this thread.

Works brill mate - most certainly up to the high calibre of your previous works, only thing I would add would be to change the

If DefragRegistry = "Yes" Then
ws.Run("ntregopt.exe silent /noprogresswindow /reboot"),1,True

to include an if file exists statement to prevent a VB error if it cant find ntregopt. Thats in your script pack of course.

No probs with the WMI or PSService executions so far, so think that might have just been my end... will let you know if I can replicate a problem consistently.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with AutoRIS and the newest RyanVM UpdatePack? I get a tcpip.sys is corrupted error after running AutoRIS with no nLite changes to the image. Is there a SIF file change or something of that sort that I'm missing?

AutoRIS 2.10 Options Set to Yes:

DelDefSIF

RunRVM

UseWMI

All others are set to No

RyanVM is set for only the UpdatePack 2.0.5 and the WMP UpdatePack ..

Thanks

<EDIT>

My Co-Worker slipped me a non-SP2 XP the other day .. darn him to heck .. :realmad: .. I'll get him for it later. Now to test this tool with a real SP2 ..

</EDIT>

Edited by ordovice

I am trying to run RyanVM's Sun Java2 Runtime Environment silent installer from the setnextboot section of the 500_settings file. Currently it looks like

[setNextBoot]

Custom210File=jre506.exe

Custom210Title=Sun Java2 Runtime Environment

Nothing is happening. I have put the file in the C:\AutoRIS\$OEM$\$$\system32 directory. After the install the file is in the system32 directory and runs just fine manually.

Any suggestions?

Two things: first, you would probably be better off running the Java installer from svcpack.inf. Second, there is a bug in there relating to the custom actions at the 200 level. I'll be releasing a refresh shortly that addresses that issue and a couple of others as well. Just trying to tie up some loose ends and test everything properly.

Ok I lied, there's three things - here's the third.. if you do decide to run the installer by making an entry in the 500_Settings.ini file, you will need to place the installer in $OEM$\$1.

• 1 month later...