Xp + Xp Dual Boot

Emmett

Hi,

I have run into dead ends so far in trying to minimize the impact of borking my system. I have two identical hard drives with two partitions on each. What I want is an "almost hot swappable" system. By that I mean if the XP on C:\ bombs I could boot the XP on D:\ and resume almost immediately without a lot of getting everything back up to date. I have a program (File Back) that can synchronize the two partitions. Is it possible to install another copy of XP on D:\ and have it selectable during startup as part of "Dual Boot." Do I need to purchase a second copy of XP to comply with the EULA?

Thank You & Best Regards

Emmett

If you have two partitions on each drive, and only one copy of XP, there is no need to install a second copy since your backup software would probably back up every single file on your C:\ drive. It would almost be identical. The only files it probably wouldn't have would be the boot.ini file. Good luck!

BTW, welcome to the board, Emmett!

gamehead200 you are right. Use norton ghost and make a bootable CD from it. this will help you everytime your install fails. you can keep backing up your files on d: and then restore them.

if you don't want to do all this and the only situation you want is to have two copies of XP, then answer would be "yes, you can do so.".

just pop your bootable CD in and rather than chosing recovery console, chose new install.

now when it asks for the partition...just select the D: drive and install as you would do in normal circumstances.

now whenever you boot you'll have two choices. the upper one will be the newer install i.e d: in your case.