Constant hard Drive activity

Lonman

I have XP Pro installed on a system that CONSTANTLY (twice a second... blip, blip, blip...) accesses and writes to the files "ntuser.dat" and "ntuser.dat.log"

It's not a real system drain but it won't allow my system to rest unless i chose standby or hibernate.

Is this process necessary or can i shut of the logging operation? I like to "read" my hard drive light as an indicater of unauthorized activity to bogus or security related activity and this process is preventing that to a substantial degree.

Any help to track down the process and shut it down (if it's not necessary) would be appreciated. :erm:

Guest LouCypher

Those two file are part of your registry. One IS the registry, and the other is a log of registry activity. You can use the utility REGMON from SysInternals to track modifications to the registry. It will tell you the application and what it is doing (reading/writing) at the same time.

The download page is:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

It is freeware, and source is available. I used it to find the location of the two registry lcoations to modify to enable fast user switching and logon via welcome screen.

I was having this prob big time after installing a copy of XP that I got off of an irc. I changed HD's because I thought that was the problem and also I have loaded XP Pro retail version. No problems since then but it is good to know that it is likely not a bad hard drive that I have. Interesting...if you guys find the solution, please post back here.

Rick

I had this same problem on 98 about a year ago. Ire-formated, reinstalled and did all that i could think of, but nothing worked. after a few months my hard drive ate s***. Im not sure if its some kind of warning that you drive is about to bite it. but if i were you i would get a new drive :)

backup the data and just copy it over. And with Hd being so cheep now..there is no reason not to

-drew

Yeah! Dirt Cheap! Just paid $180 USD for mine! LOL It is a 60 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital though. I wouldn't be surprised if the HD I have in my system would have taken a dirt nap but I don't think that is the root of the prob in this case...I think it's an XP bug of some sort but what sets it off? I don't know.

Rick

• 6 years later...
I have XP Pro installed on a system that CONSTANTLY (twice a second... blip, blip, blip...) accesses and writes to the files "ntuser.dat" and "ntuser.dat.log"

It's not a real system drain but it won't allow my system to rest unless i chose standby or hibernate.

Is this process necessary or can i shut of the logging operation? I like to "read" my hard drive light as an indicater of unauthorized activity to bogus or security related activity and this process is preventing that to a substantial degree.

Any help to track down the process and shut it down (if it's not necessary) would be appreciated. :erm:

switchoff indexing facility.