Problems booting Knoppix

Darude1234

Alright guys, got it to work alone, but when I use the -j1 attribute for cdimage.exe it kills my windows OSes. Is there a way to dual boot windows and knoppix? Has anyone done it succesfully?! Thanks.

Qz

Edited by qzmicro

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. I got it working. 100%. I have noticed that with multi-boot DVD-DLs though... (mine is almost 8.2 Gigs)... you cannot fill them up past 7.5 gigs AND use Windows 2000 Professional or 2000 Server. Advanced server works fine, but for some reason the other two simply won't work with a file system that big. Doesn't seem to matter what files they are or what they are for. (I tried removing and installing Vista and some linux distros... and the **** thing just won't work if I fill my CD all the way up. Anyone have any ideas? Other than that... knoppix works fine. If you need any help, please post.

Qz

Edited by qzmicro

@andyd

What's 100% ?

Do you like cdshell, PE and Knoppix?

There are different file systems:

ISO9660 Level 1: 8.3 file names

ISO9660:1999 support files names up to 207 chars

Rock Ridge: support files names up to 255 chars

Joliet support files names up to 110 chars

Non english PE use long files names, not supported by Joliet.

PE works, if you use ISO9660:1999.

Knoppix require either

-ISO9660 and Joliet or

-ISO9660 and Rock Ridge.

CDshell 1.6 support ISO9660:1999.

Use file system ISO9660:1999 and Rock Ridge.

I use this command:

cdimage.exe -l"MultiBoot-DVD" -t08/23/2001,13:00:00 -h -j1 -b"K:\install\BOOT\loader.bin" -o -m "K:\install" "H:\MultiBoot.iso"

My MultiBoot:

- WinXP MCE 2005

- Knoppix

- BartPE

For PE you must cut the filename of one (or more?) MANIFEST-files (see error-massage), but it still works.

Hi guys. I am trying to multi-boot knoppix and vista. I would like knoppix to boot from this exact command from my boot menu:

if $lastKey == key[9]; then bcdw boot /4320.IMG

. From what I hear it works with CDSHELL, but I can't get it to work. CD shell says:

Error: Unknown Command

[Command:bcdw] [Line: 72.2] [File:cdshell.ini]

. Can anyone shed some light on this ubject for me please. I've googled for info, but can't find any. Thanks.

Qz

Your answer is here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=134241

just find that file in bcdw2.0a1 folders. It resides under cdsh/modules directory and copy/paste it to the modules folder under **AIODVD**/boot/modules directory. That latter modules directory comes from cdshell installment.

I've messed a lot with the same error but suddenly I've come up with Markymoo's simple for forum-kind but a huge step for me-kind message.

hope it works...

Is there anyway to add SuseLIVE DVD to multiboot DVD?

It has a completely different layout, since all isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, vmlinuz etc files together with the cloop.img file (nearly 1GB) reside in the root folder of the DVD.

How can we build the multiboot dvd structure, cdshell.ini etc in this case? Any idea?

you could try either just leaving those files in the root of the directory and using cdshell to point (memdisk) to the IMG file... or you could try putting all the files in a folder and leave just the IMG file in the root and editing the IMG file (or whichever file in that IMG file) to point to the new installation path.

• 5 months later...

hehe.

you know,knoppix/knoppix file (700MB)is a compressed image.

run this compressed image can caught the error.

NOW,your BOOTCD can boot knoppix,Directory of *.ISO\knoppix:

| |-- KNOPPIX

| | |-- KNOPPIX (compressed image)

| | |-- boot.img (boot floppy image)

| | `-- (other files snipped)

| `-- index.html

`-- source

`-- KNOPPIX (this directory can be chrooted into)

|-- bin

|-- boot

|-- cdrom

|-- dev

|-- etc

|-- floppy

|-- home

|-- initrd

|-- lib

|-- mnt

|-- none

|-- opt

|-- proc

|-- root

|-- sbin

|-- tmp -> /var/tmp

|-- usr

|-- var

`-- vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs

i'm sorry.my english is poor.

you can get help from KNOPPIX.NET

Edited by wnynfn

• 9 months later...

if anyone interested, I have tried to multiboot different knoppix distros into one dvd without any problem.

Just use CDShell and hexeditor.

step1: get the knoppix liveCD, /boot/isolinux goto CDShell /boot/[anyname]/, edit CDSHELL.ini to include the line from isolinux.cfg of the LiveCD

step2: copy KNOPPIX folder to root, and rename it, example as KNOFFIX

step3: extract mini*.gz in the /boot/[anyname], and you will see a file with .img extension

edit using hexeditor, to replace any KNOPPIX_DIR="KNOPPIX" with KNOPPIX_DIR="KNOFFIX" and all pointer to CDROM/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ..

save the .img file, and use gzip -9 to compress to .gz

put the .gz file back into /boot/[anyname]

step4: repeat for any other knoppix distros you may have

step5: save the iso, and test

step6: satisfied? burn it

done! :thumbup

if anyone interested, I have tried to multiboot different knoppix distros into one dvd without any problem.

step1: get the knoppix liveCD, /boot/isolinux goto CDShell /boot/[anyname]/, edit CDSHELL.ini to include the line from isolinux.cfg of the LiveCD

step3: extract mini*.gz in the /boot/[anyname], and you will see a file with .img extension

edit using hexeditor, to replace any KNOPPIX_DIR="KNOPPIX" with KNOPPIX_DIR="KNOFFIX" and all pointer to CDROM/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ..

done! thumbup.gif

That is really useful to know.

Could you take a look at Ubuntu for me?

Some of us were looking in to how to do this over at this topic.

Thanks.

-kof94

Edited by kof94

done! thumbup.gif

That is really useful to know.

Could you take a look at Ubuntu for me?

Some of us were looking in to how to do this over at this topic.

Thanks.

-kof94

Dude: Check out the cheatcodes for KNOPPIX. There are two that address this w/o the need to patch anything. You can explicitly indicate the dir and image file at boot-time. BTW, I presume earlier versions have this, but I know for sure it's true w/ 5.11. Besides unless you have an urgent reason to do otherwise, 5.11 is the best, bec it has true NTFS R/W support ! It's huge !

KOF94: Having said all of that, check out our other thread, as I have suggestions about Kubuntu....Jet

• 3 years later...

Or, you can just go through the same steps as adding Knoppix except go into isolinux.sys (or what's not syslinux.sys), and add the following line:

KNOPPIX_DIR=DESIREDDIR

. You add that line to every line in syslinux that begins with Appen. For instance:

APPEND knoppix_dir=KNOPP34 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz

The only problem with this method is it still uses the background file in the KNOPPIX folder for some reason... Maybe I just messed up somehow last time I tried it (the last time I tried 2 versions of Knoppix was with Knoppix 3.4 and Whoppix, but Whoppix is now Whax and based off Gentoo I believe so it's a bit different then before).

You can also try using the cdshell command:

if ($lastKey == key[1]);then isolinux

but this method never worked for me.

Hi, I have got a question how to put more knoppix in a multi DVD. I read the tutorial to http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29193 to run knoppix from my UBCD multi DVD. The knoppix's files are in Knoppix directory and everything work. Now I would like to add new linux, which include knoppix images. I renamed the knoppix directory to knop, and edited knoppix.cfg, for example:

LABEL adriane

KERNEL /knop/isolinux/linux

APPEND knop_DIR=knop ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=0x311 initrd=/knop/isolinux/minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 tz=localtime adriane

or LABEL adriane222

KERNEL /knop/isolinux/linux

APPEND knop_DIR=/knop ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=0x311 initrd=/knop/isolinux/minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 tz=localtime adriane

and I doesn't work. The image is booting, it is searching for knoppix but I receive a message:

Could not mount disk to /mnt-system.Starting debugging Shell

What did I do wrong? Can someone help me?