swflash.inf

After installing flash8 you can get it from the INF dir

or use the one i attached here.

you may need to edit the paths in the INF

eg. %11%\Macromed\Flash\Flash8.ocx

to reflect the renaming and location you are using

shark

Edited by Shark007

Thanx. I already have the new inf. I have found a .cab version of the extracted installer files which has it in it. I would rather do it this way again so i dont have to install it even though that is easy enough also. I found the .cab file here if anyone else wants it.

http--download.macromedia.com-pub-shockwave-cabs-flash-swflash.cab

I just used this from version 7.0.19

Copy your XP CD to a point on your HDD (ie, C:\xpcd)

expand SWFLASH.IN_ from the i386 directory like this:

expand -r SWFLASH.IN_ c:\

Copy SWFLASH.INI from C:\ to your desktop and then edit SWFLASH.INI so that the VersionNumber line in the [strings] section looks like this:

VersionNumber = "7,0,19,0"

Next, extract the Flash.ocx file from the swflash.cab (downloaded from the macromedia.com website) onto the desktop, and rename it to SWFLASH.OCX

Once you've done that, use makecab to compact it and rename it, like this:

makecab SWFLASH.OCX

You will also need to compact the SWFLASH.INI file with makecab, like this:

makecab SWFLASH.INI

There should now be a file named SWFLASH.OC_ on the desktop, as well as SWFLASH.IN_

Copy SWFLASH.OC_ and SWFLASH.IN_ into the i386 directory and overwrite the ones already there.

Now you can burn your CD and you'll have updated Flash Player

should be

http://download.macromedia.com\pub...092;swflash.cab

found out that the winxp i386 folder SWFLASH.INI file is using

[sWFiles]

flash.ocx

[DestinationDirs]

SWFiles=11, Macromed\Flash

[base.RegSvr]

11,macromed\flash,flash.ocx,1

[base.RegSvr.Update]

%11%\macromed\flash\flash.ocx

so the flash file should FLASH.OCX ISN'T IT?

I've done making both the flash.ocx and swflash.ini and ready to put in I386 dir..

but haven't test yet.. anybody willing to test please download it and extract to I386 directory... Thanks

http://cyguru.com/FLASH.rar

Edited by cyberloner

Either rename Flash8.ocx to just Flash.ocx and put it in the i386 folder or use the new inf in the cab file because it is looks for the file to be Flash8.ocx. If you use the new inf and leave the file name Flash8.ocx, you will either have to also copy the two GetFlash.* (updater files) files to the i386 folder because the new inf looks for them to copy to the same folder as the .ocx file, or edit the new inf and delete the Getfiles.* entries under the SWFILES headers so that it doesnt look for them.

Makecab will reduce their size

So, did I get it correctly that if I replace FLASH.IN_ and flash.oc_ in i386 with the ones from cyberloners rar file, I will have Flash 8 player installed, and will not need to install flashPlayer 8 (install_flash_player_active_x.msi)?

Edited by BoardBabe

So, did I get it correctly that if I replace FLASH.IN_ and flash.oc_ in i386 with the ones from cyberloners rar file, I will have Flash 8 player installed, and will not need to install flashPlayer 8 (install_flash_player_active_x.msi)?

I expanded the files from cyberloner and they were Flash.ocx and SWFlash.ini, renamed the SWFlash.ini to SWFlash.inf, compressed and after a clean install went to macromedia flash player download centre.

Clicked to install and straight away it went to the installation successful page so it works for me.

Don't know whether you need to rename the file, its just I have always used swflash.inf