Installing Widows Updates

hUmAnzZ

Hello

I have a couple of questions if someone can hel me plz.

1 - I'm having a problem, every time MS releases an update i download it and keep the .exe file to use it later if i ever needed to clean install windows bu then I have the problem of installing alot of updates. is there any program that take cares of this thing? like telling it where the updates are and it applies them all?

2- if there was no program that does that i was thinking may be a i can write a simple program that does this task, a simple thing but i wanted to do for fun so i need to know abt the updates naming convention, is the numbering related anyway to the order or the release date of the update so i can install updates in order?

I'll appreciate ur help alot

thnx in advance

Put all the updates in a folder and create a batch file in that folder.

Each time there's a new update, just add a few lines to the batch file.

In that batch file, have commands like this:

start /wait KB######.exe /quiet /norestart

isn't it possible to use the example shown in the Office 2003 Splipstream guide?

FOR %f IN (*.exe) DO start /wait %f /quiet /norestart

or it will execute all the *.exe at the same time? (not sure 'cause i haven't tested it :P)

As ASIN said the best way is to use a batch file like InstallUpdates.cmd and put all the commands inside ... but i have a doubt. What happens with the order of the updates ? is important to install it in order of appearance?

I mean that there are lots of updates (30 for WinXP sp2) that update hundreds of windows system files, dll's, etc. If u install first a recent update and later and older one, can the older one overwrite dlls? I dont use /o switch in the command line of my batch file, so i dont know what happens if two updates try to update the same file. Can this happen ? or all updates are independant ?

Thanks for all.