Win2K and WinXP on same CD?

Do you think that win2k and winXP could fit on one CD?

WITH integrated updates, service packs and extra programs of course...

I mean if you use nlite and similar tools their size could get pretty small...

and the fact "extra programs" would be shared with them so it might work...

Has anyone tried this?

Then again the only reason to do something like this is the fact not all computers have DVD drive... like my other computer.

Edited by TooMuchFreeTime

I'd say probably not. You'd have to remove a lot of components and drivers and I'm still not positive it'd be able to fit on one CD with all the hotfixes. I'd shoot for a dvd as the drives are pretty cheap. I'm just not sure that they'd fit on one CD. I've never tried it though.

Edited by Screwz Luse

Just keep XP and 2000 separate. I doubt you would find yourself in a position where having both on a disk will somehow be the answer to all your woes. Better to make a 2k disk with un/attended, custom files, prog install,s drivers, clean builds, etc and likewise for XP.

I find it somewhat amusing that everyone is in a rush to nlite everything just to try to cram everything on a CD. I would hate to have everything on 1 CD, or 1 DVD for that matter! People take your CD's, they get scratched, forget them...etc. I like to know that if i lose my XP install disc having builds ranging from all features to slimmed down, I at least can pick up my 2k3 disc and use cmdcons, install 2k3 from a variety of configurations, or use 1 of many bootable utils that i would have on all my OS install disks (because i have room for them).

Bottom line, try to fit it on 1 CD if you truly must, but you better realize that features taken out are not easily added once you realize the comp. needs them. And if you can't fit another CD in a paper sleeve and take it with you... :whistle:

If you are thinking "WITH integrated updates, service packs and extra programs of course...". Then don't think nlite will save you, or that it will fit. Having just a clean mix of 2 different OS families across a CD w/o any extras doesn't fit if you want to maintain the full builds

Bite the bullet, have a spare CD to save you. Make it easier on your self to keep the different OS families separate when you want to change something later on. Have the ability to do a repair, upgrade, and clean install.

Using gosh's method, I'm pretty sure you could have 2k and XP, but you lose the compatibility and versatility that maintaining a full OS build brings.

*Excuse my small rant, but I just see so many "can i have my cake, take your cake, add more toppings than there is cake, and then eat it too?" type of threads ....

*Nlite is a great program for customizing and weeding out useless aspects. IMO, very few really consider how removing items will affect future programs and devices from working, esp. since I see hardly anyone slimming their builds for a specific purpose and usage. Rather, most remove items simply because they can.

Probably be better off working on a PE build instead of installation methods at that point and cut down on the threads that answer themselves (I took out print spooler and now i can't seem to print anything. Nlite messed it up...how can i fix?)

• 10 months later...

This is a challenge thats why we should do it :P

I tried to do it - I stripped 2000, XP and 2003 but left in the

upgrade options. Then made the boot files etc to do multi-boot

and it ended up not working, but you can fit 2000, XP and 2003

on one CD, trust me I did it, but it wouldnt install in the end.

The problem is that the source files in I386 ended up being different

to what was in txtsetup.sif, or something, can't quite remember why

it didnt work.

It makes me laugh when people say "why would you wanna".

It should be about doing it, not asking "why do it". I have to

ask "why not do it". :P

Edited by LeveL

• 4 months later...