Keyboard malfunction

Thauzar

Hi I already posted a topic like that but got no response. Trying again.

I tend to "lose" some keys on my keyboard after a while, and nothing except reboots can give them back to me. I don't remember all of the but they are all on the alt-car row. I think it was 2-3-4-8-9 or something like that. What's annoying is that I have my @ caracter on alt-car-2.

Someone told me to change the keyboard cause it was a hardware problem. Bullsh*t. Changed my keyboard for nothing cause it happens again. Worse, my laptop started doing it too!

So I'd like to know if someone experienced this, maybe it's a conflict with a software. Anyone use NetLimiter, dc++, bittornado, norton systemworks, opera and get that? I really don't have a clue.

Thanks

How hard do you abuse your keyboard? I've had a keyboard that's laying around the house that I've had since we got our first 486 and it's perfectly fine.

If the problem happens even with new keyboards, then I'd look into a motherboard problem. As strange as it sounds, my mother bought a computer a couple of years ago, and the keyboard did strange things. We tested:

new keyboard in the old computer - fine

old keyboard in new computer - not so fine

For example... the "i" key wouldn't do anything, the "j" key would type "i", the right square bracket would make the computer beep, and the left square bracket would put the computer into standby. Returned the computer, got a new one (with a new motherboard, kept the keyboard) and all was well.

I don't really think that it's "normal" for keys to wear out on a laptop more than any other keyboard. Manufacturers usually test their key mechanisms for many more presses than you or I will ever type on the machines.

If you get a chance, test the keyboard in another computer to see if the same thing happens. At least then you'll be able to better pinpoint the problem.

How hard do you abuse your keyboard? I've had a keyboard that's laying around the house that I've had since we got our first 486 and it's perfectly fine.

I am very nice and had the same keyboard for 5 years, but the problem persists with the new one i bought, and happens on my laptop too, all started during the summer

If the problem happens even with new keyboards, then I'd look into a motherboard problem.

As strange as it sounds, I don't believe my 2 motherboards on 2 different computers (different boards and manufacturers and cpu too...) would do the exact same bug.

I don't really think that it's "normal" for keys to wear out on a laptop more than any other keyboard. Manufacturers usually test their key mechanisms for many more presses than you or I will ever type on the machines.

I agree, but this is the kind of useless responses I got until now... this, and "change your keyboard"

If you get a chance, test the keyboard in another computer to see if the same thing happens. At least then you'll be able to better pinpoint the problem.

Didn't try the keyboards on another computer, but tested 2 keyboards on my desktop (old and new one) and don't forget my laptop which is also affected.  Also, everything goes back fine when I reboot.  And I just formated and still got the bug.

My guess is that it could maybe be software related. That's why I asked if anyone using NetLimiter or daemontools had this problem too, cause it was the only loaded programs after my first boot in windows anyway. And I installed NetLimiter this summer... when the bug started, and netlimiter is also present on my laptop... maybe it's not netlimiter itself but just to show it's more complex and subtle than it looks.

I agree, but this is the kind of useless responses I got until now... this, and "change your keyboard"

I was saying this to counter what ripken204 said. I've used several laptops over the years and the keys work just fine. I've even got a Thinkpad (Pentium 166) that works just fine. Keyboard wear usually only happens with $3 keyboards, and not with laptops, since manufacturers know that they don't want to deal with broken keyboards after only 2 years.
Didn't try the keyboards on another computer, but tested 2 keyboards on my desktop (old and new one) and don't forget my laptop which is also affected.  Also, everything goes back fine when I reboot.  And I just formated and still got the bug.

My guess is that it could maybe be software related. That's why I asked if anyone using NetLimiter or daemontools had this problem too, cause it was the only loaded programs after my first boot in windows anyway. And I installed NetLimiter this summer... when the bug started, and netlimiter is also present on my laptop... maybe it's not netlimiter itself but just to show it's more complex and subtle than it looks.

Well... if it all started after you installed NetLimiter, then that's where I'd look to resolve the problem. You said that they problem was still there after you formatted... had you installed NetLimiter at this point?

I've used all the software there except for NetLimiter. Never had the problem you describe.

There can be some strange hardware behaviour with software that don't mix. For example, NAV and InCD can cause your system to completely loose the ability to read any removable media (CD, floppy, USB drive).

NetLimiter was only a hint like that, I don't think it's that. It could be bootskin or maybe SAV with Nero VisionExpress... Just hoped somebody else would have experienced this cause I don't have all the same programs on both of my computer so maybe a name would pop that I too have installed on both computers.

As for my desktop, it was the language not set to the right french keyboard configuration, so it didn't technically happened yet. But still, i'd like to know cause I do not want to format my laptop at the moment.

Thanks a lot for you replies. And I'll remember never to install NAV with InCD :D

Is your laptop also supposed to be a french keyboard configuration? I don't think that you'll need to format to fix that.

Link

Yeah but that's not the problem.. it only happened cause I formated this morning and was too quick to test the @ key... didn't check if I was in French (Canada) and I was in Canadian Multilingual Standard... but on my laptop I'm in French (Canada) too. It's not like if the language was temporarily changing. All the keyboard layout stays the same it's just that some Alt-Car keys ONLY stop working. Not only AltCar-2 but also 3,4,5 and 8 if I remember correctly.

And when this happens, I still can use those keys normally with shift and ctrl, but not with Alt-Car

Edited by Thauzar

Strange... unfortunately, I've never dealt with alternate keyboard configurations, so I'm guessing that I've reached the limit of my worth here. Hope that you figure this one out!

Thanks a lot for replying and being nice! At least it bumped this topic a couple of time :whistle:

I will try to stay aware about what software I installed IF it ever happens again on my desktop.

But please people if this ever happened to you, drop a line :)

It happened again!

Ok, I have NetLimiter 1.30, dc++ 0.674, winamp5 and msn 7.5 opened, with SAV9 running.

I lost my AT key again. Here is the problem

#1234567890-= normal

|!"/$%?&*()_+ shift key

\_____¬¦²³_½¾ AltCar key, the _ are the malfunctionning key numbers (123450)

Anyone else experienced this with the same softwares???