iTunes 4.9.0.17 silent with no quicktime

seapagan

@evilvoice:

There is an install for them, it is taken care of by the installshield script file (inx) embedded in the msi. That is why the installer exe must be run - it creates all the dialogs (this is why there are no dialogs when you run the msi directly), runs the scripting and choses languages. Anyway, since the installer is 269kb, not really a problem to keep it.

I've beem playing again this am, and have got a working install, with the msi down to about 3 meg - all language files except english removed. I am still using the original cabs, but once I finalize the msi I'll erase the extra files from the cabs too. That should cut the install down considerably. Bummer is that since all the localized files are similar, the whole install compresses very well anyway, so I may not gain too muh space after it is 7z into a silent install. Oh well, but the experience and knowledge gained is worth it :D

SP

very true...also something I have noticed is that in vmware, itunes does not install the cd burner stuff correctly...it installs it enough so that the prog doesnt complain, but doing a search of gear*.* only turns up 2 files when there are around 8 files in the cab. Just a note if youre gonna erase the cab files.

it seems to have been packaged in a serious hurry - is there any competing software released soon? 

It was probably rushed out because of that fone that has just been released that is compatable with iTunes.

I'll test out your method 2nite.

If it comes down to leaving the bonjour service in and having no errors or leaving it out and having an error I vote for leaving bonjour in... (my 2p worth)

EDIT: I assume that you can delete all the language files and folders????????????? apart from your own language?

Edited by rikgale

@rikgale:

Yes, delete all the *.lproj directories except for the one for your language. Also, edit the Setup.ini file to something like :

[Languages]
count=1
default=409

409 is the code for English (US), so replace that by your own language code. Also, delete all the 0x0nnn.ini files that are not yours - the nnn is the same code as above. You can get language codes from here.

Is also possible to delete all the *.mst files except from the code that is for the language you need - the 4 digit codes can be found on the same page as above. If you are doing a standard english install, delete all the mst files.

As an update, I have produced a completely localized (english) install version, zipping up at 7.8Mb in 7z :thumbup.

I have :

Removed QuickTime.

Removed all localizations from the msi, and the related files from the cabs.

Combined all the cabs into one cab, just to be tidy.

Kept 'Bonjour'. I can remove it easily, but iTunes complains on startup, so not worth it.

I'll probably combine the cab directly into the msi also, so only need the msi and setup files to install.

Testing it now on a clean (live, not vm) system, it plays, it updates, it sits there looking shiny and fast :)

Maybe people would be interested in my posting it? :whistle:

SP

7.8Mb!!! *rikgale show upmost respect and admiration*

If you want someone to host that I can. No idea how much bandwidth my ISP provides but might as well abuse it while I can!

I can get it on 2night if you get it to me before 10.15pm. Send to rikgale ({at}) gmail dot com.

If I don't get it, this evening I'll upload it when I get back from work 2morw evening, that's if you want me to host it.

GOOD luck!!

Ok test my own version, b**ched about my QT being out of date and would not run. Forgot to update my QT alt, but otherwise it installed ok.

@rikgale:

Thanks for the offer, and the compliments :)

I'll host it on rapidshare, and my own webspace again, probably tonight, certainly the archive, and maybe a silent installer if I have time.

@evilvoice:

I've not tried the gear stuff yet, I dont use myself. I do all my testing on a live machine though, not Virtual. I have only removed localization files, and the Gear ones are generic, so there should be no problems (touch wood).

Oh yeah :

itunes5.gif

:w00t:

The 7z file is all the other files archived. My msi with the cab integrated is smaller than the original msi alone, lol.

SP.

• 2 weeks later...

@boardbabe:

All the versions I have posted are 'complete' in that no functionality is lost. If you just remove the QT, you have a standard install. The version 5 I posted (english only though) is the same : totally complete, except this one is only english language.

I'll post up the method in a few days (bit distracted right now) to modify the multi-language one to the language of your choice.

Remember always to run the setup executable, not the msi directly - if you run the msi directly it will not install CD and ipod drivers - this has always been the same with iTunes, all the installation logic, control and dialogs are done in installscript, controlled be the setup exe not the msi. There are no files in temp, because there is nothing to unpack - it's already been done (the original installer puts files in %temp% so it can run them after extracting from the distribution archive).

SP

[Edited to remove my sunday morning confusion]

Sorry boardbabe, my misunderstanding, doh!

This version is packed with winrar - look at the iTunes 5 topic to see. Basically, unpack with WinRar and erase the quicktime installer, thats all.

(Did you d/l the standard international version or the Norwegian one?)

Edit : the guide for iTunes 4.9 is no longer valid for 5, if you are using that, - I'll upload a specific one for v5 soon)

SP

Edited by seapagan

@boardbabe:

There is really no 'guide' yet for version 5, I'll finish it one of these days. Basically, to remove QT from the international version just unpack using WinRar, and delete the standalone quicktime installer exe (itunes installer will not complain it is missing). You can then package up the remaining files as a QT-less install however you choose. Remember to run the iTunes installer exe and not the msi.

There is a post somewhere up in this thread where I mentioned this. The difference for the one I posted in the other topic is that all traces of any language other than english have been removed. I'll finish writing that method up and post it in the other topic, so you can make a Noggie one :P

SP