iTunes 4.9.0.17 silent with no quicktime

seapagan

It appears that there is a not so widely publicized "Quicktime Only" installer directly from Apple's website that does not include iTunes.

see here (this is not a direct download link)-

h**p://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

Just a quick vote of Thanx, seapagan

I used you .rar files and created my own switchless 7-zip installer which comes in at 5.86Mb, and makes it the default player an doesn't install the desktop shortcut.

I have yet to test on a real comptuer but installs ok on VMWare. :thumbup

It appears that there is a not so widely publicized "Quicktime Only" installer directly from Apple's website that does not include iTunes.

see here (this is not a direct download link)-

h**p://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

Seems that either they have messed up writing the page, or the file size for standalone QT is 32MB! (OK, it is version 7, but WTF? :huh: )

@rikgale :

Thanks for the feedback :)

- downloading iTunes v7 right now, see how much bloat I can kill from that, lol! Hopefully it is still compatible with QT alternative though, and doesn't require QT 7.....

SP

I hope and pray you can trim this sucker. At 32Mb they are begining to take the p***.

If you see my other post it also installs a new service called mDNSResponder

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55383

I'll willing test it if you can trim it.

EDIT: QT alt 1.60 beta 3 has QT 7.0.2 codecs in.

Edited by rikgale

I've taken a first look, unpacked it - it does install QT 7.0.2 (and that installer is 32 meg on its own :blink: ).

This seems a bit of a rush job - there are still CVS tags and directories included in the archive also, and the layout looks rushed.

I'll report back later ;)

SP

@rikgale :

I only took a very brief look at the GUI, doesn't really seem too different to the last version, but I have not played with it much yet.

@canuckerfan:

Gimme some time, I just downloaded it. :P

But .... yeah, I have now got a version weighing in at aroung 10meg, that installs perfectly and works with the latest QT Alt :thumbup. I just need to test more, and repackage properly.

SP

iTunes Version 5 :

OK, I'm not going to post a binary for this, cos it's pretty simple!

This installer is actually a winrar sfx, and can be extracted using winrar to any directory you want. In this directory, you will notice a file called 'QuickTimeInstaller.exe' (32mb) - just erase this! To install now, just run the file 'iTunesSetup.exe (269kb). It will give no error, and install properly with all the correct drivers and associations. Tested it on my ipod, adding and removing music is all ok. After the fuss with 4.9, this was bizarre - it seems to have been packaged in a serious hurry - is there any competing software released soon? :P

I have not tried the CD burning or CDDB, maybe someone else who uses these can post if all is ok?

It still installs the 'Bonjour' service for AirWaves and music sharing.

Tomorrow, I'll sit down and try to shrink and package it properly, removing this service and a few other things, put up a proper installer.

Oh yeah, the default english installer seems to have all languages included - they are msi transforms, which the installer will apply to the default. You can remove the directories and inf files that are not relevant to your language if you want, remember to remove the reference from the 'setup.ini' also. The localised iTunes files are included in the msi & cab, so are a bit more complicated to remove.

SP.

So will we see a norwegian iTunes 5 version any time soon? ;P

I was waiting for you! :lol:

Actually, the full version that can be downloaded from the 'english' itunes page is International - 14 languages. So, if you follow the steps above, in my last post, you can have any language you want!

I have been playing with this installer, got it without QT (easy) and have also managed to stop the 'Bonjour' service from being installed - the problem is that itunes checks for this (hardcoded into the exe) and complains at startup if the service is not there. It will work properly after, but just that one complaint every time you run it. Give my a few hours to play - i'm working in a totally 'english' version without any of the internationalistations, so I'll post that with info maybe today or tomorrow (insomnia sucks).

The more I look at this installation, the more 'thrown-together' it seems. Its installshield 11, msi based, with discreet M$-compatible cab files, packed up in a winrar sfx - an unusual combination :P

SP

well, i did my own testing (without editing the msi file). You only need to keep the msi and cab files, everything else can get trashed...first run isscript11.msi and install that since its doubtful that its been installed yet. Then run the itunes.msi using ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 and it will silently install (well, it looks the same as using /qb-!) and its installed. I 7zipped it and got it down to 12mb...but im sure with some editing it can get further reduced, but that is my 5 minute test.

As a side note, i decided to include quicktime with mine and all together it is a 28.1mb file, so saved about 6mb...

Edited by evilvoice

@evil voice:

That does not work for a clean install. It does not install the CD burning tools, or CDDB drivers, and so gives errors on each run. It may have worked as an upgrade, cos you still have the 4.9 version of these files and reg entries installed. Also, the ipod and itunes helper services are not installed, so it's pretty useless.

It's been said before, you cant install properly unsing only the msi, you ned the setup files also.

As a side note, my iTunes.msi is about 3meg, just by taking out some of the localization files. Even if you kept the setup and ini files, it would only work properly in an english install - this installer has 13 other languages in it.....

SP

yes thats true, but looking inside the cab files, i dont think there is an install for them...i dont have an ipod, so i dont need that cab file anyways...im gonna test extracting the cab files and moving to their proper spot and see what happens.

Also, I said it was a 5 minute test...I wasnt looking to do anything real strenuous as I didnt have the time. Quicktime installs fine this way, but you are right, itunes does not...now to find out what needs to be done so that itunes doesnt complain.

Edited by evilvoice