big popup problems

ripken204

Remove Internet Explorer - it's an option of the removed components.

Unless you want to cripple the system, don't remove IE Core. You'll loose access to all the MMC dialogs and the like. Help will be screwed up as well.

rip - you have 2 choices; 1) get rid of some IE files, but keep the core, or 2) get rid of all of it... sort of. if you remove IE and the core (both individually selectable within the nLite UI), it's still not completely gone. it takes some reg and dll hacking to finish the job. i just did an nLite build with the IE core removed and it went pretty well.

ide rather just get rid of some files, plz tell me how to this

and no wonder i didnt see it in nlite before, you know how that box pops up saying to check the stuff you use? well thats why.

i dont want programs not to work and stuff, i just want IE to not be able to work

rip - oh, you had IE selected in the compatibility options - hehe. i don't have nLite installed right now, but you'll find the IE options in the "components" section i think. with IE selected (and NOT the core) it removes a few files and access to IE (no shortcuts, can't run "iexplore.exe", etc.), but IE is still there and functioning -- you can open an explorer window and key in an internet address and it will display the page. also, you still have access to "internet options" in the control panel.

then, to UNhide the "local" computer zone in internet options, i use this script (something tells me you can use gpedit.msc to do the same thing though). just stick it in notepad and save it with a VBS extension. this way i can configure security for stuff running locally...

Dim sReg, SH, Ret, iVal, sType, s
s = "Click YES to make IE Local Zone settings visible"
s = s & " in IE. Click NO to hide them."
Ret = MsgBox(s, 36)
Set SH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
  If (Ret = 6) Then
      iVal = 1
  Else
      iVal = 33
  End If  
sReg = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\"
sReg = sReg & "Internet Settings\Zones\0\Flags"
SH.RegWrite "HKLM\" & sReg, iVal, "REG_DWORD"
SH.RegWrite "HKCU\" & sReg, iVal, "REG_DWORD"
Set SH = Nothing

If (Ret = 6) Then    
  s = "The Local Zone should now be visible in IE"
  s = s & " security window as My Computer."  
   MsgBox s, 64
Else
  s = "Local Zone settings have been hidden."
   MsgBox s, 64
End if

Advantage of limited account is that it doesn't have the authority to install programs... this includes virus. Unfortunately it also means other programs. Most people find limited account too restrictive to be usable. A better approach is to start internet, IM and email through dropmyrights.exe. This will strip admin rights out of process as it is launched giving advantage of limited account, but otherwise computer will behave as expected with admin rights.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ure11152004.asp

why wouldnt i want to use a limited account tho if i want to restrict her from all but 3 things? and no viruses/adaware/spyware can be installed?

limited accounts still allow you to install programs but not all programs. although you can still install a whole lot.

basically i just want her to only use a few programs and to not be able to install anything. that other method rly sucks b/c u need to do it for every program that you have.

Edited by ripken204