Office 2003 vs OpenOffice

D8TA

I use both, but open office consume more memory then office 2003. When I start any MSOffice program, like word it only consume 3****k memory, and in open office it consume 21***** + 4***** as its run two program, a main program like word prossors and an opoffice.bin file that consume memory.

But open office create smaller file then Office 2003.

Pawan :thumbup

OpenOffice is greatly improving every year. Though like all the softwares it is not completely fully developed. But, no doubt, it offers many features which are simply worth installing it. Like its ability to create pdf files, another feature that I like is same as autocomplete feature, this one really helps in new files and it keeps on giving you the option to autocomplete long words and it really makes typing really great!

But it really falters on opening MSWord created large files, xls files are still having issues, and its conversion of doc to pocket word format is still buggy.

But, for a free cost, it simply is a great program.

It is a great program because it is free. I however do not use it in a corporate enviroment because of lack of support for the product and most of my customers run like exchange server adn other MS products

If you work with Databases and can learn how to use dynamic content in your documents.. this software is great.. you have the ability to pull information out of databases via odbc from ANY of their open office programs. (IE. pull customer addresses out of live database for address lables in OpenOffice's version of Word) OR even edit live data in a database via the software. That is about the greatest feature that others dont have.. with this being said... I have used this feature once and never again..