$OEM$ Failure

I've struggled with this for days now. Can someone help me please?

First I thought it was to do with RAID but I sorted out that problem.

Whenever I try to install windows 2000 with the OemPreinstall set to Yes in the winnt.sif I get errors like no raid fastrak.sys found. I figured it was to do with me burning the fasttrak raid drivers onto cd instead of using the usual method of F6 then floppy.

Now I find that ANYTHING related to OEM set to yes just gives me an error.

If i set it to NO then windows installs no problem.

Ok I can live without an unattended RAID install (dont really care about that) but why is it giving me an error for anything else related to $OEM$. All I can install are hotfixes using the svcpack.inf and folder. Since they dont use the OEM call.

As soon as I start trying to load in some extra programs like winzip. BOOM! error time. Switch OEM off in the winnt.sif and it all runs like clockwork.

Really need some help please.

Just tried a test burning 1 cd with the RAID drivers on it via the $OEM$ directory and 1 cd without RAID Both tests resulted in a stop error screen 0x0000007B at the stage were windows 2000 is about to install after reboot.

None of the two tests made any difference because I have OEM set to yes in winnt.sif

When I set it to NO everything runs ok (except I cant install drivers or software additions etc via the OEM route obviously)

So my questions are: Why is the use of OEM causing this problem and is there a way around it?

Without the OEM ability I cant use RunOnce.exe or anything.

Attached is a sample of my winnt.sif and txtsetup.sif files in case anyone cares to have a look and point me in the right direction.

But I dont think these files are the problem for some reason the very use of OEM seems to dissagree with my pc

Sample.ZIP

I've seen it posted that OemPnPDriversPath doesn't work for CD.

All I know is I've never got it to work. This is the method I've

been using for XP Pro. Haven't tried it in win2000

add these line to winnt.sif. of course editing it for your path/drivers

[CODE}

[Data]
OemDrivers=OemInfFiles

[OemInfFiles]
OemDriverFlags=1
OemDriverPathName="%SystemRoot%\DRIVERS\005HD"
OemInfName="fasttx2k.inf","NVATABUS.INF","NVRAID.INF","s150tx2k.inf","Si3112r.inf","SI3114R.INF","ulsata2.inf","VIAPIDE.INF","VIASRAID.INF"

Edit the txtsetup.sif the sameway you've been doing and copy Fasttrak.sys

to the i386 directory. Copy your driver files to the dir you specified in

OemDriverPathName.

This thread has more info on it

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=49374

:D

which is quite logical

OemPreinstall meanig u r installing it as an OEM win xp cd like one which available with the DELL PC or any OEM

an OEM should have all the drivers for the system

so it doesnt accept F6 driver

all the TEXT MODE drivers should be specified in winnt.sif

M$ give correct guidelines for that in ref.chm

thats why u getting err

HA! Well I believe I have identified my problem. Bye the way thanks for that bit of info jbm it actually pointed me in the right direction to what my problem really is.

I was blaming the RAID drivers when in fact its nvidia. Unsigned.

I still cant get the darn thing to cooperate even when trying it out on XP. And nothing improves matters if drivers and inf files are itemized in winnt.sif. So using an $OEM$ directory on the CD is now mealy a wish. BUT I managed a hack. B) It's crude but effective. I wrap all my additional programs like winzip, nero, office etc into an exe file and these load up using a (somewhat unorthodox method to launch the runonceex.cmd). Best part about that is it works on any drive letter. Prior to that happening any updates and hotfixes install during GUI mode. I still have to use the old F6/floppy method for the text mode part but what the heck. I figured after spending days messing with the thing this is good enough. Least I don’t have to use those 4 stupid floppy boot discs anymore now its been boot imaged to CD.

Lol I have so much stuff loaded on now I think a DVD version is just around the corner.

But it is kinda cool watching TV knowing the PC is self installing.

• 2 weeks later...