Password protecting Software Execution

TheCrow7

I tried using SaveIt! 2 to be able to monitor when an application is started so it can be protected with a password. I get errors from the WindowsFileProtection though.

I have to do this on a single account which is used by more than one person, yet creating a new account to solve this is sadly NOT an option.

Is there a build in option (registry maybe?) to be able to password protect running a program in XP ? Or any other usefull software ?

It's an interesting program, but it doesn't really "password protect" the executables. It wraps the exe files into another password protected executable then extracts the original exe file out when you run it and type the password. I could do the exact same thing with WinRar. I'd recommend saving your money and just using WinRar to wrap the executables into a self-extracting exe. Not as simple as this program, but WinRar has more usefulness. It's not a one-trick pony.

*EDIT*

Ok, so I wasn't entirely right. There's no easy way I can find to make WinRar delete the file after you're done with it. So it does have it's usefulness. Though I'm still working to see if I can use WinRar to do what this program does.

Edited by Jito463

Well, I did find a way to do it. I used a batch file to run the program after extraction with the start /wait command, then delete the file and itself afterwards. And I used the RunHiddenConsole program available here on the forums to hide the batch file. Not as clean of a method, but since I already own a copy of WinRar it's cheaper than buying some other program. We were needing something similar at work on our demo computer to keep people from playing the games when we weren't the ones showing them off.