Using 2 Firewalls

abo sager

Firewalls that are 'software packet filters' on the same machine they are supposed to protect are dangerous.

You will be much better off with a cheap linksys or dlink router/firewall between your home net and the internet.

Cost is damned near the same. You can get an obsolete, but perfectly functional and effective Linksys BEFSR41 for less than U$20 on ebay. The cheapest I've seen Symantec firewall is about U$30.

If you need more than 4 network ports (the befsr41 has 4), the befsr81 with 8 10/100 ports goes for about $40 on ebay.

And you'll gain some system performance back. The Symantec firewall (like many of their products) isn't exactly the most efficient piece of code.

Firewalls that are 'software packet filters' on the same machine they are supposed to protect are dangerous.

You will be much better off with a cheap linksys or dlink router/firewall between your home net and the internet.

Cost is damned near the same.  You can get an obsolete, but perfectly functional and effective Linksys BEFSR41 for less than U$20 on ebay.  The cheapest I've seen Symantec firewall is about U$30.

If you need more than 4 network ports (the befsr41 has 4), the befsr81 with 8 10/100 ports goes for about $40 on ebay.

And you'll gain some system performance back.  The Symantec firewall (like many of their products) isn't exactly the most efficient piece of code.

I'll second that.

Its not O.K. to use 2 firewalls. If your using XP, it's O.K. to disable the Windows firewall (this was done automatically when I installed Zone Alarm), and in the security center it specifically states "Two or more firewalls running at the same time can conflict with each other." Not recommended, even though I turned back the Windows firewall, Zone Alarm is smart enough to turn it back off. :blink:

Cost is damned near the same.  You can get an obsolete, but perfectly functional and effective Linksys BEFSR41 for less than U$20 on ebay.  The cheapest I've seen Symantec firewall is about U$30.

And you'll gain some system performance back.  The Symantec firewall (like many of their products) isn't exactly the most efficient piece of code.

I would Third this. 36_2_68.gif