Best And Free Antivirus CalmWin

well if were doing free 9x anti virus-es

AVG

http://free.grisoft.com/

-well, I used to run AVG on two win98se puters a yr or 2 ago, and kept getting Invalid Page Fault errors, & limited options (? can't turn it off w/out rebooting, maybe?)

-maybe it's better nowadays, and maybe the page faults would be gone now thx to sesp2/98se2me installed... but after testing AVG, Antivir (not bad, but misses a lot of viruses I tested on it), and Avast!, I found avast to be most stable, leanest resources (won't slow ya down), good options, and good catch rate... (tho it's method of cleaning can be annoying, it has to create a recovery database of all your clean files first...)

-again, haven't tested AVG w/98se2me, maybe it's finally more stable now...

Edited by PsycoUnc

no, it doesn't crash with IPF on Win98SE (unless there's something else wrong) i've used it for years and it's always been 'stable' and i have tried Avast btw and AVG is far lighter on resources (and dependencys for that matter)

anyway choice is yours/whoever's.

-hmm, interesting... I know a lot of people have liked AVG, but I never understood that, since it definitely made 3 diff. puters here and 1 or 2 of my friends' puters have noticeably more IPF's, and it did slow em all down much more than avast did... in every case, it was uninstalled very quickly because of it... -the IPF error messages didn't list AVG services as the culprit (Explorer, usually), but again in every case they happened much more frequently with AVG installed than w/out (or than with Avast). I quickly learned to avoid AVG like the plague, and always recommended people to avoid it as well, I HATE IPF's... oh well, perhaps it was just coincidence, but 4 or 5 puters is quite a coincidence, if so...

-to each their own, I suppose...

>;]

mmmm it doesn't mix well with Zonealarm in my experience, but then i stopped using that a long while ago too, maybe their e-mail scanning parts don't like to co-exist (just theorising here)

version 7 allows you to install without selected components, so now i don't install the e-mail part (i have no need, windows is installed without Outlook Express and all my e-mail usage is web based) on my system i purrs quite nicely alongside Sygate Personal Firewall, a-squared and Spybot.

i still think its a good free alternative, but i'm not going to try and convince you to switch, with these kind of things its best to stick to the 'suite' that works best for you.