hard drive problem

for some reason my second hdd is not working as it should,its a 300gig sata drive and its been like this since i put it in my new pc (it was working perfectly in my old one)

when i go to browse the contents of the drive by double clicking on it in my computer it opens instantly as it should,but then it wont let me go into any of the folders on the drive for a few seconds it wont even let me hilight them.

the drive also crashes my pc sometimes. i get the bsod and then windows will fail to restart(another bsod before the loading screen) when i check the bios its not being detected untill i power off then on again its driving me mad because i know there is nothing wrong with the drive and i cant seem to find the solution to the problem

here are my system specs

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX Extreme Edition

SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio

Corsair 1024Mb XMS4000XL Pro X-Treme Low Latency Memory

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Motherboard

120gig Maxtor SATA

300gig Maxtor SATA

i didnt install any sata drivers because i dont have a floppy drive

bsod are usually associated with windows system failure. i'd concentrate there. i'm not very familiar at all with sata drives so i prob have got the wrong end of the stick and being stupid trying to help u. ive had my share of hdd not being recognised and failing, but its never given me the blue screen. mayb u sud try installing the sata drivers just to see if it might inprove things. its definitely a software problem maybe a reinstall or update of the concerned software is needed.

i wish you good luck and hope that others can be far more helpful than me

:)

@langlest mite be u have set em as primary master and secondary master.there mite be some prob in ur secondary port or some cables prob.just set ur hdd1(from where u boot)as primary master and the undetected hdd as primary slave and just set ur cd/dvd reader/burner as secondary master and check whether both hdd and cd/dvd is working or not

If you have SATA II drives on an SATA (I) controller, you need to turn off auto speed detection by placing a jumper on it.

Otherwise, try having Msft tell you about the error:

Ensure error reporting is turned on:

Right Click My Computer, Select Properties

Lick the advanced tab

Click the Error Reporting button

Check the Enable Error reporting radio button

Check both win and programs check boxes

Click Ok

Click Apply

Next, in the Start Up and Recovery Section of the same tab (Advanced)

Click the 'settings' button

Check everything except for Auto restart

Select Complete Memory Dump

Click Ok

Click Apply, Click Ok

*** Optional

Doc Watson

Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Informaiton

Click Tools

Dr Watson

Note your Log and Crash Dump locations

try 50, 50, full

Check

Dump Sym, Dump All thread, create crash dump

Uncheck

Visual, sound

Generate the BSOD

Look up the error

Right Click My Computer, Select Manage

Click Event Viewer

Look for your BSOD red x error under

Application, Security, and or System

Double-Click the http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp url

Hopefully you're not the only person with this error.

its not coming up with anything that i can sort out,there were a lot of errors in my system log but all of them seem minor problems,i think im going to buy another motherboard but im not sure what to go for,could someone point me in the right direction? it has to have sli and be compatable with all the parts i listed above

Hi,

I had a smiliar sounding problem. I took it to one of me mates, who took the back of the computer off and pushed the connecting cable back in. It had fallen out. Could be something as simple as that.

PS. I felt like a right id***. I thought id got a problem that would stump my mate, ant it was the bleeding cable that had just fallen out.

Cheers

i think i may have found the cause of my problems,i just updated to the latest nforce drivers and i was getting a bsod as soon as windows started,it happend in safe mode too when i included network support,i tried normal safe mode and it worked fine! i did a system restore and uninstalled my nvidia forceware network acccess manager then updated the nforce driver again,so far i havent had a bsod yet i also checked the large hdd to see if it needed a defrag and i was amazed how overdue one was,so far i havent had another bsod and my hdd access has been a lot faster :)

defrag.jpg

ripken204, that is a strange thing to say! Afterall the built in defragger is coded by Executive software and infact is the same engine without all the options you get in Diskeeper like scheduling and the performance map etc.

Have you ever done any tests concerning access times before and after, stuff like that? If you did, I think you'd be surprised.

Perfect Disk is a fine defragger if you want to pay for one. Actually, you can use the native defragger from the command line. I do that during installs, in fact.