Dirver letters and Windows Setup question

sangwooksohn

I have recently partioned my HDD's and I have some question regarding the drive letters on Windows XP Setup.

I have four HDD's connected on LSI Logic MegaRAID 320-2X as follows:

2 x 36GB HDD (RAID 0) w/ 18GB + 54GB partions

1 x 36GB HDD w/ 12GB + 24GB partions

1 x 148GB HDD

What I like to see is:

1. 18GB = C

2. 54GB = D

3. 12GB = E

4. 24GB = F

5. 148GB = G

But on Windows Setup, partions are recognized in different order.

1. 18GB = C

3. 12GB = D

5. 148GB = E

2. 54GB = F

4. 24GB = G

I understand that I can change the drive letters once I finish installing Windows by running "Computer Management" under "Administation Tools", but I'd like to know if I can change them when I install Windows XP.

If you have any idea why it's happening or you know how to fix this issue I am having, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Sang

jaclaz,

Thanks for your input.

Somthing I don't understand is that I did made all my partions to Primary partitions. But result is the same.

I also tried it by setting them as logical partions, and the same result.

Hmm.. I wonder if I can fix them.

No, sorry, according to the provided links "should" work like this when there are no already assigned letters (i.e. an upgrade):

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/driveletters.htm

If your disks are set like in your last post:

Scan all fixed hard disks as they are enumerated, assign drive letters starting with any active primary partitions (if there is one), otherwise, scan the first primary partition on each drive. Assign next available letter starting with C:
FIRST ACTIVE PRIMARY ON FIRST hard disk:

Disk 1

The 18 Gb gets C:

Repeat scan for all fixed hard disks and removable (JAZ, MO) disks and assign drive letters to all logical drives in an extended partition, or the removable disk(s) as enumerated. Assign next available letter starting with C:

The FIRST LOGICAL VOLUME ON NEXT hard disk:

Disk 2

The 12 Gb gets D:

Repeat scan for all fixed hard disks and removable (JAZ, MO) disks and assign drive letters to all logical drives in an extended partition, or the removable disk(s) as enumerated. Assign next available letter starting with C:
The NEXT LOGICAL VOLUME ON SAME hard disk:

Disk 2

The 24 Gb gets E:

The FIRST LOGICAL VOLUME ON NEXT hard disk:

Disk 3

The 148 Gb gets F:

Finally, repeat scan for all fixed hard disk drives, and assign drive letters to all remaining primary partitions. Assign next available letter starting with C:
The remaining PRIMARY PARTITION on FIRST hard disk:

Disk 1

The 54 Gb gets G:

If you have ALL PRIMARY PARTITIONS:

Scan all fixed hard disks as they are enumerated, assign drive letters starting with any active primary partitions (if there is one), otherwise, scan the first primary partition on each drive. Assign next available letter starting with C:

FIRST ACTIVE PRIMARY ON FIRST hard disk:

Disk 1

The 18 Gb gets C:

FIRST PRIMARY ON NEXT hard disk:

Disk 2

The 12 Gb gets D:

FIRST PRIMARY ON NEXT hard disk:

Disk 3

The 148 Gb gets E:

Finally, repeat scan for all fixed hard disk drives, and assign drive letters to all remaining primary partitions. Assign next available letter starting with C:
NEXT PRIMARY ON FIRST hard disk:

Disk 1

The 54GB gets F:

NEXT PRIMARY ON NEXT hard disk:

Disk 2

The 24GB gets G:

And all of the above can even be worsened if you have other devices, like CD-Roms, burners, or ZIP/Jazz drives connected.

You can try the following (NO warranties implied):

Disk 1

18GB Active Primary => C

54GB Logical = D

Disk 2

12GB Logical = E

24GB Logical = F

Disk 3

148GB Logical = G

Maybe, if possible, it would be easier to simply disable the 2nd and 3rd hard disks from BIOS when installing the first time?

jaclaz