Ethernet Switch

Beppe

got a quick question for u guys maybe someone can help.. someone bought a 5 port hub to share there pc's which they were all trying to get online but could not.. b/c with a hub i believe u can only run in half duplex mode. and w/e data goes in comes out the same way correct? u would have to have some kind of central pc to distribute the data? anyways i told them to buy a router and all problems gone.. all on the internet happy.. anyways i have a 5 port ethernet switch here which is basically a smart hub.. can i share internet access with one ip address and not have a central pc to dis data?? :wacko:

If I understand the question correctly, answer is yes... you can share internet connection with switch. Like you say, only one can transmit at a time on hub, switch is full duplex, more like smart bridge than hub.

The answer is yes. With a switch and broadband, connect your dsl/cable into the uplink port of the switch and then plug in your nodes into 3 of the 5 ports on the switch. As you said, switches are full-duplex, you will be able to share files among all the computers connected to them if they're in the same domain/workgroup along with them all being able to be online and send/recieve data simultaneously.

sry just one more ? do i have to have a main pc on to share connections too the others or could i just have it on my cable modem and use whichever or all pc's at the same time? b/c with the hub we were not able to do this.. sry guys lil confused

no, no central computer. like ring said, connect broadband modem to switch uplink, pc's to other switch ports. as long as switch is powered any or all computers can be on or off.

Edited by dman

Correct. And remmber with either one or all computers connected at the same time, they will all have the top possible speed of your broadband due to the full duplex of the router/switch. The only way to go these days! :thumbup

Edited by ringfinger

No prob beppe... this is a learning forum. You actually don't need a central PC for a hub. Although, a hub will divide available bandwidth by the number of computers connected (by DHCP) whereas a switch will offer full-duplex and maximum bandwidth allowed to each PC connected. Let me know if you have any other problems.

then how come when they bought a hub they had 1 pc connected. 2nd and the 3rd would not wanna work? but the 1st and second did.. they bought a router and everything went very well? does it have something to do with the ip's? this is were i started getting confused.. i always thought was just for building in home networks "lan" and routers were for sharing connections and ip's this is were no one was able to help me lol :}

Edited by Beppe

then how come when they bought a hub they had 1 pc connected. 2nd and the 3rd would not wanna work? but the 1st and second did.. they bought a router and everything went very well? does it have something to do with the ip's?

You got the part right about it having something to do with IP's. Some ISPs will only let you use one IP, some let you use two, some even more (but thats very rare). The dlink/linksys/netgear/smc routers that are all so popular now are actually a combination NAT router + switch. NAT (Network Address Translation) lets you share one external IP address with multiple computers.

You should check with your ISP about how many IP-numbers you can get, if you only get one then you will only have internet access on the computer that recieves that IP.

The other computers on the switch will probably get 169.x.x.x numbers, automaticaly configured by windows.

As ssmokee says, a router would be ideal if this is the case... :-)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I think I may have missed something so I may be stating the obvious. If the broadband modem does not have a DHCP server built into it you can only attach one computer no matter if you have a switch or hub. This is why plugging a router into it works when the other devices do not. A router provides DHCP service, turning the one IP address your ISP provides into hundreds of IP's using the magic of NAT (Network Address Translation).

Once you have a router, you can start plugging switches into it to expand the number of ports available. Most home routers support over 200 devices so feel free to wire your whole house. For example, the computer in my garage has to pass through two switches and a router before it even gets to my DSL modem. And yes, it has full-duplex connections all the way.

Don't spend money on a hub unless it's free. :rolleyes: It will slow down the network connection speed of everything plugged into it. Pick up a no-name 5 or 10 port switch for about $10 and enjoy all the benefits of full wire speed.